Home > Trip Reports > December 10, 2006; Near Stevens Pass

December 10, 2006; Near Stevens Pass

12/15/06
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by cascadesfreak on 12/10/06 1:07pm
Keeping expectations for ski conditions low, Kelvin and I set out for a short tour near Stevens Pass.  As expected, the recent shallow rain/sun crust was present beneath generally about 1-to-3 inches (depending on aspect and elevation) of relatively low density fresh snow.  We skinned up generally east and southeast aspects to a ridgeline.  As the shallow crust was notably thicker and more €œtrap-like€ on the southeasterly aspects, we traversed the ridgeline to seek out more sheltered aspects (east-to-northeast facing). 

A hasty pit dug at about 5,200-ft elevation on a SE aspect revealed about 4.5 feet of snow overlying the mid-November crust (generally increasing density with depth).  Tap test revealed a hard poor quality shear about 12 inches below the surface (actually had to hit the shovel pretty hard a few times after the 10 taps from the shoulder for this noted shear, so this wasn't a standard "tap test").  A moderate quality shear was found just above the mid-November crust.  No signs of recent slide activity were noted on/near our route today.  Looks like it may get sketchy by tomorrow though with the forecasted new snow load.

The crust was still present on E and NE aspects, though was thinner and quite €œskiable€.  The descent was much better than expected, with the new layer of fresh fluffy snow providing a sufficient €œcushion€ on the thin shallow crust. Arriving back at the car earlier than planned (1:30) we opted to hit the lifts at Stevens for the rest of the afternoon.   The snowfall rate intensified by the time we left a few hours later. 
sweet doods!  i wish we had winter like that out here, even with the crap-trap crust....

H-O-T-T  U R!!! ;D

Hi cascadesfreak, where were you riding?   

author=telemack link=topic=5739.msg23998#msg23998 date=1166022109]
Hi cascadesfreak, where were you riding?     
The location was kept "secret" as to reduce "over-advertising" the specific area  ;)  Though we did cross a few other ski tracks en route and met 2 other skiers at the ridgeline.

I am planning on skiing the Steven area (and staying at the Mountaineers' cabin) in between Christmas and New Years. I hope to cross paths with other TAYers at that time.

Bob Wiebe

Wipe and Wu. nice report and photos.  snow looks good.  it's been so long since i've seen snow....i can't remember what color it is.

see you in a week or so..

kam

Reply to this TR

december-10-2006-near-stevens-pass
cascadesfreak
2006-12-10 21:07:27