Home > Trip Reports > 12-9-06, Burdoin Mt

12-9-06, Burdoin Mt

12/9/06
Posted by WhiteSalmon on 12/9/06 11:08pm

I'm pleased with myself. After the post-holing fiasco the other day (taking the skis off,
LEAVING them behind a tree and up the icy path and then hitting the soft stuff due the the inversion)
I had vowed to keep my skis with me as much as reasonably possible. Looking out my window Saturday I saw snow everywhere and thought maybe it could be skied a bit higher up. So I headed down the street to the Spring St. bike paths and fastened those lovely light Dynafit/Tuas to my little Helipro for the first time and set my tiny Dynafit TLT4Pro boots to 'climb' position. Kenosha the dog and I began to hike .

After a surprisingly short time of fretting this was going to turn into a conditioning hike we ran into DOWN ski tracks on the 3" of snow on the trail. Right on. A few minutes later I encountered a couple of my other local BC gal pals HIKING down the trail sans skis. I could tell they were realizing that they had missed it.  ;D  We quickly made a date for next week.

I climbed on for a few more minutes and began to think that the skis on my back could be on my feet. In a flash I was skinning up and was a lot happier even tho the pack didn't seem too much different (honestly). I ended up turning around not quite to the top of Burdoin, depending on whether I believed the altimeter or the GPS because it was deeply treed and getting pretty dark. Headlamp in bottom of pack. The snow had already turned and was waay fast until about half way down. Good thing, a bit of soft mud and stream skiing near the bottom.  The point of this post is that is that its always more fun to slide down.

Reply to this TR

12-9-06-burdoin-mt
WhiteSalmon
2006-12-10 07:08:38