12-9-06, Snoqualime Pass, Summit Central

12/9/06
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by MW88888888 on 12/9/06 4:23pm
Day 10
12-9-06
Snoqualmie Pass, Summit Central
Vertical skied: 2,100 vf

It was 25 degrees when I hit the Pass.  The weather had turned on the snow pack and while deep, 51€ at 3,100€™, it had suffered from the freeze-thaw of the past days and sported a nasty crust down low.  On the drive up I shuffled the options deck and kept turning spades.  I needed something smooth down low or something high, but nothing I could think of up high would provide the right combination under the current snow pack.  I ended up in the Silver Fir parking Lot, which was empty, and was pleased to see a groomer right to the lot.

A hundred yards from the lot, the light from the lift station faded and I was left to my headlamp.  Soon enough I was down to my t-shirt, even though it was in the twenties.  It started to snow. 

My estimation of the lower skiing was spot on, and I cruised up the pleasant groomers eyeing the breakable crust lying in shadow along the trail.  I ventured up a non groomed slope to check the natural and found a dense crust that supported weight in spots, but would be ugly in my three pins on the way down.  No, it was a groomers day.  I popped out at the top and enjoyed the solitude of the summit.  It was apparent there would be no Silver Fir lift running soon, regardless of the 5 feet of snow.  But the groomers!  Gorgeous alternative.

I peeled the skins, drank some coffee, and swished off down toward the base of Summit Central.  Skiing from base to base - just like in Europe!  Right.

The sun had come up enough to see and the first tracks down the cord was delight.  I skied right to the Central Express lift area and re-adjusted to uphill mode.  The workers for the Area were just arriving, and I could hear voices up in the stations as they got ready to turn on the switch.  I cruised back the way I came, toward the Silver Fir area. 

I passed 100 yards above the Ski Patrol HQ and from my vantage I could see into the two story Ski Patrol lodge, the Patrollers arriving for the day€™s work.  As I skied by, I noticed one peering out the window, taking in the morning.  I wasn€™t sure if he could see me, and my senses tightened, flashing back to a particularly bad encounter returning from the State Forest next to Hunter Mountain, New York.  The Patroller raised his hand€¦and waved.  I returned his salute and smiled deeply.

I skied back up to the top of the Silver Fir lift, in a light snow, the skies cleared briefly so I could enjoy the Lake Kecheelus basin.  I dropped my knees in a rhythmic dance down to the car on the perfect smooth corduroy.

I arrived to find a camper parked next to my car.  Inside, I could see folks getting ready for a snow day.  A beautiful Arbor snowboard stood by the door.  A guy in a tee shirt stumbled out and chatted me up. 

€œHow far did you go up?"
"I took a couple of Laps"
"Is the snow good?€
€œDefine good.€
After a pause, €œNo bare spots.€
I smiled, €œThen it was great!  In fact, all they need to do is clean the two and a half feet of snow off the chairs on the lift and they could open.€

I scanned the Exit 52 ramp as I entered on my way home, the so called Dirt Bag Thrift Store, a spot apparel landed when forgotten on dark roofs after night skiing at Summit West.  The wind from accelerating cars blowing hats, gloves and other loose items into consistent eddies of REI booty along the right shoulder.  The first dirt bag on the road in the morning was like the first climber up The Lizard on a Sunday morning.  Booty assured.

I spied a dark pair of ski gloves along the side of the road and pulled over.  My smile, which seemed permanent this morning, broadened.

Nice report, M8.

author=MW88888888 link=topic=5731.msg23926#msg23926 date=1165739006]
I passed 100 yards above the Ski Patrol HQ and from my vantage I could see into the two story Ski Patrol lodge, the Patrollers arriving for the day’s work.  As I skied by, I noticed one peering out the window, taking in the morning.  I wasn’t sure if he could see me, and my senses tightened, flashing back to a particularly bad encounter returning from the State Forest next to Hunter Mountain, New York. 

Your reference to Hunter Mtn. brings back old memories of skiing in Central NY at Greek Peak and Song Mt and the top to bottom snowmaking capacity at Hunter.  :) Enjoyable trip report.

I grew up skiing Hunter Mountain "The Snow Making Capital of the World" as they called it.

Just out of curiosity, what was your bad encounter?  And also, did you bc ski around there?  My recollection is the forest was too dense and the snowpack too shallow to even consider bc but if I'm wrong I regret never trying it.

I grew up skiing Deer Run, but occasionally would head over to ski at "Hunta".

If I remember correctly a good day at "Hunta" was making it through the day without getting hit by some guy wearing jeans and a Giants jacket.....Aaahh the good old days.

Ah, Hunta.  Many a personal story at this bastion of Eastern Skiing.

I'd a love/hate relationship with Hunter.  I always found myself there early season, as indeed, it was the best 1,500 VF closest to the NY Metro and usually open first with top to bottom skiing.  Addicts must find a stash somewhere.

One day, after sampling an old CCC style trail adjacent to the ski area, I returned to three chaps sitting on my car.  Literally.  They had official Hunter jackets and such and I was perplexed by their presence.  They called me by name – what the hell!?!- and I found they had searched my registration with the local cops using my license plates as they had seen me walk out the ski area boundary and were concerned I had climbed the mountain so I could get up on the higher lifts without a lift ticket.  Interesting idea, I thought, but defended my case. 

Long story short, they couldn't do anything to me for skiing the state forest next to the lifts, but they sure let me have a tongue lashing for using their parking lot and trails to access it.  Needless to say, it left a terrible taste in my mouth for such a place, and I vowed never to return.

But eventually I did all the same.

Wait, you wrote you "dropped a knee?" that would have been a sight to see. Now, you stopping for free gloves? That I totally believe.

Reply to this TR

12-9-06-snoqualime-pass-summit-central
MW88888888
2006-12-10 00:23:26