Home > Trip Reports > Dec 5, 6, 7 2006, Polalie Ridge, Mt. Hood

Dec 5, 6, 7 2006, Polalie Ridge, Mt. Hood

12/5/06
OR Mt Hood
Posted by WhiteSalmon on 12/8/06 3:23am
Hi all!! This is my very first post on this board. I am inspired to post my pictures after seeing all the great photos of everyones this week.  This refers to 3 separate trips up out of the fog in the Columbia River. Tuesday I was anxious to test my brand new split-board acquired at the wind-surf swap last spring. The board had never been used but was ten years old (Voile Split-Decision) and was missing the slider pins. I got the parts up at the Prior shop at Whistler last week so  was set.  My usual snowboard kit has been a Salomon Ivy (I'm female), K2 approach (ascent) skis with Siberian Husky pulling the empty board.

Highway 35 to Mt. Hood opens tomorrow after being washed out for a month but the Cooper Spur road is open now so that's where I went.  The fog line was at about 3000' .  I was going to skin up the Tilly Jane trail that starts about 4000' but it was a narrow mixed bag mess at the bottom so opted to skin up the closed Cooper Spur ski area (soft  ungroomed skied out  at the time)  and follow the Polalie Ridge up.  The  snow was sticky in the trees. After a short way along the ridge  I decided I had better try  to pick some lines between the trees before I was overly committed. After lots of dinking around trying to figure out a quick way to make the switch, I was off.  To my my chagrin I had no easy way to back out of any bad spot (still poor snow coverage)  due to the lack of flip tip on this old style Voile board.  I struggled valiantly and finally made it down to the ski area again where I was greatly discouraged by the boards inability to carve on the now ice-sheet that was the hill.

So next day, after taking too long to decide, I got  a late start.  I pulled out the AT kit instead of the split-board. I am actually a better boarder than skier so am less confident on my Tua Sumos with Dynafit Tour-lites.  Also has something to do with my missing ACL from hitting a stump on my board last year (snowboards ARE safer on knees in general).  I was interested in trying my new Black Diamond Cheat Sheets, that plastic sheet that you stick in between the skins so they don't stick to each other.  They worked so so. Kind of slipped off in the skin bag tho. Anyway, with the fog still about 3000' I was happy to be in the sun. The snow was sticky again, and I stayed on the path beaten down by a snowshoer and a skier along the ridge.  It was getting very dark and late on the north side so I made it to just under 5000' and turned back. The ice that was now the ski hill was easily negotiable on the randonee gear.

Yesterday I decided to flee the  fog again and have another go at it. Unfortunately the fog level was 4000' and the trail was a luge chute and it was bumpy Styrofoam in the trees.  I decided to dump the skis and hike up. Bad move.  After 20 minutes I was post-holing.  I had not considered the meaning of inversion. I should have taken more time and tied my skies to my helipack. Then I could have gone further and skied half way back in style.

An excellent first report. Thanks. I like the part about your dog pulling your empty board.

Nice report, and welcome to TAY!

I think the husky sounds more useful than the cheatsheets, which are nice for long-term summer storage or warm-in-the-house storage, but not so desireable in the field where they are bulky, a hassle to apply, and blow away in the wind . . .

Thanks for the tip about the CHEAT SHEETS. So what else do you use to save the glue while out on trips?

I use the G3 Cheat Sheet things in the field.  They make it easier to rip the skins, to align when folding, and to put them away at home.

Nice pictures!  There has been some good turns to be had up there recently if you're willing to work for them.
About the cheat sheets - I've found if you cut the sheet in half and use one half on one skin and the other half on the other skin they work great.  I fold my skins in two with the cheat sheet in the middle.  I also trim the excess off the sides so the cheat sheet is just slightly wider than the skin.  Much easier dealing with one skin at time.

I remember hearing/reading that cheat sheets are not recommended for storing skins.  That glue-to-glue storage is best.  Since I don't have much hand and upper body strength, cheat sheets make it easier for me to pull skins apart when doing multiple laps.  And yes, they are a hassle, but so is taking forever to pull my skins apart.       

As an alternative to the "cheat sheets" you might also try a one inch strip or two of sturdy plastic electrician's tape, semi-permanently installed glue to glue in a strip right down the middle of the skin's glue side.  Before Ascension (BD) came out with the cheat sheet concept they tried just leaving a strip down the middle of the skin where there was no glue at all.  That made the skins a lot easier to pull apart.  The electrical tape basically accomplishes the same thing, except when your glue gets old and tired you pull the electrical tape and you have a nice clean strip of fresh glue to get you through another season or two before regluing.

Reply to this TR

dec-5-6-7-2006-polalie-ridge-mt-hood
WhiteSalmon
2006-12-08 11:23:41