Home > Trip Reports > Dec 2, 2006, Ptarmigan Ridge - Mt Baker Vicinity

Dec 2, 2006, Ptarmigan Ridge - Mt Baker Vicinity

12/2/06
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by snoslut on 12/4/06 3:02am

Eli and Eric skinning...

After many unreal tours so close to the nest it was time to take the step and venture north.  Afterall I was beginning to suffer from southern exposure.  So how far north??  Baker.

I was accompanied today by Eli and his buddy Captian Henry.  We started skinning from the Heather lot under creamy blue skies with our sites set on Coleman Pinnacle.  Unfortunately my batteries were on the verge of death so I snapped what I could when I could.  Was really kicking myself as the sun started to set while dropping our line out to the car and the camera blinked those words "change batteries".

Regarding stability, surprisingly not an issue today.  With the sun there were some point releases near cliffbands and sporadic formations of small surface slabs in windy areas.

My face still hurts from either smiling or sunburn or a bit of both.  The quesi feeling of of satisfaction set in after enjoying powder in their various states and depths.  Hmmm there was the creamy powder (aka: chowder) or the wind etched chalk.  Top it off with some smooth shaded windbuff and there you have it...a recipe for goodness.  Also add in some terrain features like gullies, rollers, natural trannys and it wasn't long before one lost him/herself.

I'm still kicking myself at the end of this trip report for not bringing extra batteries.  At least I didn't forget my sd card.

On the way out stopped by Bob's Burgers and Brew to enjoy the scenery and eat of course.

Here's what I got...

The landscape on the drive up...

Skier on Table...

Thanks for the pics,

We forgot our camera, but won't forget the turns from Coleman pinnacle area.  We were a group of three that made our way a bit further west towards Camp Kaiser. Thanks again! (We left a little early because...big Mike broke some teeth out on first run :'(

SAMOON

I may have seen your tracks from Pan Dome. I spent a lot of time looping through the powder just west of the backcountry gate. Since we made use of the lifts, you'll find my report and photos in that section.

Bob

Reply to this TR

dec-2-2006-ptarmigan-ridge-mt-baker-vicinity
snoslut
2006-12-04 11:02:27