Home > Forum > Packing out a campsite in deep snow

Packing out a campsite in deep snow

• Larry_R
  • [Larry_R]
More
04 Dec 2006 06:44 #176629 by Larry_R
Packing out a campsite in deep snow was created by Larry_R
It's a bit late for a trip report from Sasse Ridge from last Thursday - Friday, so other than to say there was a lot of snow, I thought I would amuse myself by writing up the following.

At our chosen campsite, my sister Jane and I found a huge amount of unconsolidated snow; up to mid thigh without skis on. Packing out campsites in these conditions is hard work. I usually allow an hour or more just to get the site ready to put the tent up. When you are already tired from a lot of trail breaking, you get inspired to try to find easier ways to pack out your site.

Jane and I started fiddling around, and came up with a few variations on our standard method, which I thought might generate a comment or two.

First I should describe my usual method, at least as it has evolved.

After mechanical disturbance, the snow sets up as a function of time and temperature. (The colder it is, the longer it takes.) This means that you want to process the whole site evenly, not just start at one end, and work towards the other, finishing it as you go. If you do the latter, the end you just finished, or the addition you just realized you needed will not have set up and you will punch through.

So for deep unconsolidated snow, here's my standard method: with skis and pack still on, outline the area needed and then side step it, up-down and right-left a few times. Then take the skis off and post hole with steps maybe a foot apart, starting at the perimeter and working inwards. Kick the snow into the postholes with the instep of your foot, soccer style. Put the skis back on, level the site and finish with close sidestepping.

The problem with this method is that it's hard work! Side stepping with skis in snow up to your kneecaps is tough. Postholing is even more so. Here are two modifications that Jane and I tried out this week that we both found quite a bit easier.

Once you have outlined the site with the skis, instead of sidestepping, leave the tails of the skis together and just walk the tips around a quarter to a half circle. Make a series of 'fish scales' that cover the area.

When it's time to posthole, instead of walking in a spiral, leave one foot stationary while you make postholes with other foot in an arc in front of you. Then you switch feet and repeat until the area is covered. The fish scale idea again. Finish up as above. When you are done, you should be able to walk around on the site without breaking through.

Anyone with other tricks to share?

Larry
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.