Home > Trip Reports > 12.2.06 Kendall Stump/Clear Cut..what you will?

12.2.06 Kendall Stump/Clear Cut..what you will?

12/15/06
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Tophervw on 12/3/06 8:46am
Double E and Myself departed the car in the exit 53 snow park (read: little notch on the left side of the road), under partly cloudy skies and kinda chilly temps at the leasurly hour of 8:30.  We were able to punch straight across the 1st little creek near the two cabins and began our asscent though the old growth buffer to the clear cut.  Having skied the far skiers right towards the west boundary of the cut in the past, we opted to traverse towards that side of the hill.  This seemingly chewed up a good chunk of time and yielded many tree wells and other hallows from beneath.  Once we gained the old access road our asscent was much faster.  Pesky fog and clouds gave way to sun about 1:30ish!

A pit dug to the ground (4-5 feet) showed a weak layer at about 1 and 2 foot depth as well as a mean rain crust about 1" thick 3' or so down.  Compression test, took 10+ wrist taps and a number of wacks from the elbow and shoulder.  Consolidation is looking real good for the base. Coverage was reasonable and left many stumps and bumps to hit, as well as many obstacles to race around. 

Rumor of Jersan and companions (I believe a 4 legged friend's tracks were observed in the skin track)were not confirmed, However a number of other TAYers were apparent after folks bailed out from Alpy.  2 laps left me wanting a few more laps but

A fairly uneventful down ski through the old growth buffer in tour mode for myself got me thinking of devising a way to lock the heal down on the split?  Anyone else made such a modification?  back to the car at 4:00 home by 5:15, gotta love the short drive, I think my weekday commute has been longer!  Nice to meet some new folks out there all!

C
author=Tophervw link=topic=5679.msg23731#msg23731 date=1165193196]
Rumor of Jersan and companions (I believe a 4 legged friend's tracks were observed in the skin track)were not confirmed, However a number of other TAYers were apparent after folks bailed out from Alpy.  2 laps left me wanting a few more laps but

Those were our 4 legged friends -- duct tape dog Keller, and Phoebe the lab. We came up from the PCT, following a track that went way too far north, through a steep boulder garden. Pretty though. Two runs on the upper knob for us and then fall line down to the PCT. I thought the snow was fabulous, with a slight crust in sunny areas here and there, but nothing you couldn't power through.

Good idea on approaching via exit 53, you must have skipped out on a lot of the flat spots and gotten to the meat of the run faster than us.

As far as locking the heel down on a split board in ski  mode .. lots of tele people have considered doing that but usually don't because it is the classic way to spiral fracture your tibia. With a free heel non-releasable it apparently is not as likely to happen, but a fully locked binding is super dangerous -- it is basically what gave skiing such a bad reputation for breaking legs back in the pre-releasable beartrap days. I suppose you could use an AT boot and install Dynafits. That would add up to one pricey rig --- but it would be versatile! 

Reply to this TR

12-2-06-kendall-stump-clear-cut-what-you-will
Tophervw
2006-12-03 16:46:36