Home > Trip Reports > December 2, Draft Dodger/No fog, Alpyback

December 2, Draft Dodger/No fog, Alpyback

12/15/06
Posted by alpymarr on 12/2/06 1:01pm
Beginning last winter, I discovered this website. I have been skiing in Washington for 10 years, but strictly on a lift served basis with the ocassional exceptions of Muir Snowfield runs and some quicky late spring corn on Mt. Elinor and Washington. Being a broke in between undergrad and grad student I bought a piece of shit randonee set up at 2nd Ascent inspired by all the backcountry TR's. Took it out today to Alpental BC, a place that I knew and felt comfortable with. Skinned up to Draft dodger where my skins decided not to stick to my bases anymore and decided to ski down. Conditions reminded me of sugar, very carvable and really enjoyable. Felt really good about the solitude and the nature of the new technique, and realizing how much it sucks skiing in bounds. Fresh tracks everywhere despite the large number of people out and about today in the source lake drainage. My skis delaminated from tip to tail and my skins fell of about 5 times. I think that the glue is shot on the old skins and allowed a bunch of snow in between the skins and bases. If any of you experienced guys have any advice, that would be sweet. Anyways a great day to try a wonderful new thing....get out and get yours...it's beautiful. 8)
Try regluing them.  Get an old clothes iron and a paper bag to iron off/smooth the old surface, and a cheap paint scraper to get old glue or dirt.  Then use good glue, Black Diamond for ex., and paint it on before smoothing it very thin with the scraper.  Duct tape the skins to a big piece of cardboard, be sure no glue gets on the traction surface, and expect a bit of a mess.

Or have Bill Eggleston do it for you if you don't want to deal with the nasty chemicals & the mess.  It was pretty reasonable, $33 in 2001 for a pair.

Bill Eggleston
Skin-Re-Glue
Work Address:
PO Box 924
Midvale, UT 84047
801 352 9031

Reminds me my first real "AT" ski on used garage sale gear 11 years ago to the top of Hyak. Fish-scale bottom K2 skis (Sundance models I think) with some 80's Ramer bindings on them that were pretty bent up. I remember my boots never pointed straight on the skis. The bindings had a release mechanism where the whole binding would stay on your boot and release from a sort of ball bearing cam in the toe piece. I didn't pay attention to the design and hooked a strap to the binding, wrapped it around my ankle and started climbing. Going over a roller at the top,  I fell over, not used to the free heel, and a ski popped off. And down, down, down it went off the backside--all the way to the  creek between Hyak and Mt Catherine. I looked at my foot. There was my boot, the binding safely atttached and secured with the strap. I learned something else on that trip--the joy of slide alder bushwacks. I found the ski eventually.

You dont have to remove the old glue really. Just paint a new layer of Gold Label (available most anywhere ~$12) and let them dry overnight. Cover the plush side with tape so nothing spilled seeps around onto it. Pretty easy but stinky.

Reply to this TR

december-2-draft-dodger-no-fog-alpyback
alpymarr
2006-12-02 21:01:05