Home > Trip Reports > November 25, 2006, Southern Cross (Stevens Pass)

November 25, 2006, Southern Cross (Stevens Pass)

11/25/06
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by jd on 11/25/06 7:30am
John Waldrop and I tried to hit the Stevens Pass ski area early to skin up before the lifts were running, but didn't quite make it. It wasn't a problem in any event - a number of nice patrollers stopped to talk to us as we skinned up Skid Road, then up the ridge to the top of the Southern Cross Chair. Some downhillers were making the hike up to hit Wild Katz, but no one else headed over our way. We couldn't believe our luck as we deskinned and looked down an uncut field of perfect powder under the chair. The snow wasn't Utah powder, but was pretty damn good fer these parts - knee deep and easy cruising with occasional face shots on the steeper shot. The patrol was working back there, so it may open in the next day or two, but if it's still closed I'd highly recommend it tomorrow - one of the best "front-country" runs I've had in the Stevens Pass area.

The skin up the cat track (which had been groomed a day or two ago) out of Mill valley was long and tedious, but easy. We skied Double Diamond back to the base but the wind had pounded it, so while still fun, wasn't nearly the quality of the back side.

Reply to this TR

november-25-2006-southern-cross-stevens-pass
jd
2006-11-25 15:30:47