Home > Trip Reports > Nov 21-22, 2006, Sasse again

Nov 21-22, 2006, Sasse again

11/21/06
Posted by Larry_R on 11/23/06 12:16am
Another trip up Sasse Ridge as usual. Started out in light rain, 34 degrees. I think conditions like these are far tougher than temps even below 10 degrees. Sooner or later everything gets wet or damp, from sweat if not from rain, and then the rain turns to wet snow which sticks to outer layers and prevents them from breathing. There are tricks however, that can make it a lot more pleasant.

Speaking of tricks, I'm always looking for a better way to do things. Sometimes the idea works, and sometimes not€¦ Like this week. Version 2 of the prototype 'lateral epicondylitis prevention ski pole basket' failed. Both baskets! Like some neocons I've heard recently, I'm *absolutely sure* that my concept is correct, it's just that the guy who implemented it (me) screwed it up.   :D  But then again€¦

In any case, I had to come up with 2 jury rigged pole baskets. On one pole I used a pop bottle top that I have been carrying for an emergency basket. I made the other basket from a sapling and some nylon cord, just like the ones I used as a kid. Funny thing was, when I skied up the next day, I found that I liked the jury-rigged basket even better than the commercial baskets I've used. It just had a nicer feel. Wet snow did not collect on the top of it either. So now my basket ideas are off in a completely new direction. Sorry, old direction. Just don't laugh if you see me skiing.  :) See the pic below.

On Wednesday, I started up the hill at 6:20 am in fog and light snow. A total of maybe 4 inches of new snow on top of last week's awful crust. Result: fine going up, still awful going down, but not quite as awful. The reward however was climbing above the fog to higher overcast with a wonderful undercast, and then even sun.  The pic below from early morning shows the sun on the Three Queens with the main run off Red Mtn. hidden in the clouds to the left. Polallie Ridge is on the right. 

When I left it was snowing, and the other good news is that the Sasse Snotel site is now repaired so we can keep track of the accumulation. Thanks Scott Pattee!  As a result, I now have both the Sasse snowpack model and the Blewett model running 3 times a day. Same links as last year.

Larry
I like that last picture

where is Sasse; what road accesses it?

Sasse Mtn / Ridge is located east of the Salmon Le Sac road  -- It's within one of the "Voluntary Non-Motorized" areas in the Cle Elum Ranger discrict.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/district/cleelum/skiinfo.html

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/district/cleelum/winterrec.html

In addition to route in the map Randy has posted, there is additional access to Sasse Ridge via Rd 4315, the one I usually use. There is a large snow park there, however you can park for free along the west side of Salmon La Sac Rd. 4315 is the standard access to Jolly Mtn.

Interesting -- I usually refer to #4315 as the "Jolly Mtn" road.    The map I posted is more the Howson creek area.  Both areas have a nice selection of clearcuts for skiing -- though the mid-lower part of the "Jolly Mtn" area has had enough regrowth to limit the fun in all but the deepest snow packs.

Reply to this TR

nov-21-22-2006-sasse-again
Larry_R
2006-11-23 08:16:43