Home > Trip Reports > november 18, 2006, Mt. Baker

november 18, 2006, Mt. Baker

11/18/06
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by fheimer on 11/20/06 2:50am
Had a great first day of the season in the baker backcountry.  After studying recent trip reports and weather forecasts(thanks tay) I knew the only way to get decent turns was going to be to make the five hour drive from portland to baker.  Skied of the the ridge leading up to table mountain a few times.  I was pleasently suprised by the depth and quality of the snow.  Got a little funky down low but otherwise pretty good.  The highlight was the scenery as slowly shuksan cast off it's cloak of clouds and the north cascades glistened in afternoon sunlight.  First time to baker and will definately be back.  The highlight of the skiing was finding a nice steep chute that has been loaded with snow.  The snow was rolling over the knees on that run.  ;D
The next day sucked so we drove home. 

10 hours driving
1 day of skiing
was it worth it?
yes
:)

That's great but by doing the thing we love so much we are killing it.  Driving 10 hours (probably in a SUV) for 1 day of early season skiing you burn up 30+ gallons of gas.  What's contributing to global warming and what does America use most of (hint: gas) and for what purpose (hint: cars/personal transportation)?  Just something to keep in mind.  Enough of my environmental diatribe for now.  Not meant as a personal attack on you. 

The way I have been looking at it is that the increased greenhouse gasses will raise temperatures causing the Greenland ice cap to melt.  The decreased salinity of the North Atlantic will cause the Gulf Stream to shut down which will plunge Europe into a new ice age.  Skiing in the Alps is going to rock!!!   
There is always a silver lining in the bad news somewhere :D

I saw that movie.  ;D

yeah I am guilty of consuming gas.  The trip actually only took 20 gallons of gas (small car).  When I also factor in that no energy except my own was used in getting up the hill and I conserved on heating cost by sleeping in my tent I figure I'm not doing to much damage.  I also included a trip to ikea to buy a bunch of stuff so it's not like the whole trip was just to go skiing.

I think what one has to do is weigh the costs versus the benifits.  I don't think my little trip is going to send us over the edge (think about how much gas all those semi's use) but being in the mountains might keep me from going over the edge so...

Hey Zee,  the cool thing about this site is that it is about skiing and just skiing.  We don't get political here (except to lobby the Park to open the road to White River campground!).  The man had to ski, so he drove to Baker!  Many of us TAYer's nay have to drive a bit further this winter dur to the park flooding.  Should I post my mileage and how many people I have in the car when I post a trip report?  Should I buy Carbon credits everytime I go to Crystal?

Let's keep it to skiing

Well Zee, upon reading your post I simply could not resist replying. Since you obviously are more environmentally correct than the rest of us and feel the need to preach and admonish us , I think it would only be fair for you to give us details on your own carbon footprint just to make sure you are not being  hypocritical.

Please reply with details of the car you drive ( if any, and I hope it is an energy efficient car). Details of your mileage for the past month. We, the TAY community and fellow skiers will then audit your gas consumption and let you know if you really are holier than the rest of us!

If you are going to flame a fellow skier for getting the goods, I personally feel you should prove you are entiltled to. >:(
regards,

Scotsman ( I drive long distances to ski aswell but do try to carpool)

Wow, gas vs skiing is a touchy subject.  I beleive Zee didn't mean it as an attack but making assumptions (SUV, single purpose trip) and laying all the evils of America on fheimer's desire to ski may have been a bit much.

I think the point is a good one.  I choose to drive a small economical car and I still think about the impact of my skiing habit.  If we didn't drive to the mountains, we might not appreciate the environment and so make different consumptive choices.

For me it comes down to the comment from skifish:
The man had to ski, so he drove to Baker!

The fact that he chose means with minimal impact is probably representative of the attitude of the TAY community.

May I suggest—politely—that the Trip Reports forum is probably not the appropriate place to admonish others about their presumed personal contributions to global warming? There's plenty of space for that on the Random Tracks section of this site.

Thanks.

Mark

way to get after it frank!

Reply to this TR

november-18-2006-mt-baker
fheimer
2006-11-20 10:50:37