Home > Forum > Eastside Wash cascades info?

Eastside Wash cascades info?

• 5-String
  • [5-String]
More
05 Mar 2003 07:43 #168197 by 5-String
Eastside Wash cascades info? was created by 5-String
Hey there.....<br>I will be in the Leavenworth area the last week of march. I'm sure with the snow that is happening this week, the backcountry should renew itself. I've never been up there in the winter. any must do descents? I'm willing to head up north or south of leavenworth as well. Are there any huts to take advantage of?<br><br>Thanks in advance.<br><br>5-String

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• David_Lowry
  • [David_Lowry]
More
06 Mar 2003 06:21 - 06 Mar 2003 07:15 #168198 by David_Lowry
Replied by David_Lowry on topic Re: Eastside Wash cascades info?
5-string, the only huts I know of in the area are the commercial Êhttp://www.scottishlakes.com

In their last newsletter, It looked like there were some openings in late March. ÊWenatchee RD also administers use of the Boeing Cabin which is accessed from Blewett Pass. ÊNever been there.

Sorry, its Cle Elum RD, and they call it the Table Mountain Cabin, (not to be confused with markharf's playground). Go to this page, scroll down to Cle Elum RD section and look for Table Mtn.

www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/recreate/reports.html#anchor250803

• 5-String
  • [5-String]
More
12 Mar 2003 00:48 #168201 by 5-String
Replied by 5-String on topic Re: Eastside Wash cascades info?
Thanks David,<br>Whats the terrain like around there? At this rate I could be water skiing eh?

• David_Lowry
  • [David_Lowry]
More
12 Mar 2003 04:19 #168203 by David_Lowry
The terrain around Scottish Lakes is pretty much Intermediate below and above treeline skiing (second growth forest). The Chiwaukum Mountains are quite spectacular with as much vertical as you could want. There are lots of pics on their site.<br><br>The Table Mtn. area is a multi-use area, so its a good kick and glide trip, no extensive vertical for T-marking except for Diamond Peak which might be on the way to the cabin- not sure.<br><br>I don't think you can go wrong with Scottish Lakes. Its in somewhat of a rain shadow- with colder temps and lighter snow, but that might not be applicable in late March. The Hansens, like the Starks before them, do a fine job running the cabins. They either snowcat or 'bile you up to where the cabins and good snow are. You can either ski or cat out.

• 5-String
  • [5-String]
More
17 Mar 2003 11:37 #168218 by 5-String
Replied by 5-String on topic Re: Eastside Wash cascades info?
Well David,<br>Looks like my posse wants to assault the Enchanments. I'll have to hit scottish lakes another year. I'm sure I wont be disappointed either way.<br>looks like it will be cold and wet this week and next. <br>ciao<br><br>steve

• David_Lowry
  • [David_Lowry]
More
19 Mar 2003 04:41 #168228 by David_Lowry
Wow! that'll be spectacular. No huts though. Bring your axe and crampons!