2006-07 Dynafit Comfort compatibility problem

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
17 Nov 2006 23:13 - 17 Nov 2006 23:50 #176145 by Lowell_Skoog
2006-07 Dynafit Comfort compatibility problem was created by Lowell_Skoog
I've been using Dynafit Comfort bindings for a few years. This year I bought another pair of Comforts for a new pair of skis. I just got the skis mounted and noticed that the new 2006-07 Comforts are incompatible with my older Dynafit crampons. The problem is illustrated below:

Owners of older Comforts may notice that the plastic baseplate for the toe piece has changed. The groove that holds the ski crampon now has metal tabs (good! much stronger!), but in addition, the plastic platform at the tail end of the baseplate is thicker and longer than it used to be. Herein lies the problem.

In the second photo, the ski crampon is tilted up to its "install" angle. Notice how the rounded leading edge of the crampon blade interferes with the baseplate during installation. It is not possible to install this crampon on this baseplate without severely stressing the connection. I don't think you should try it.

There is a fix, shown below. With a hacksaw and a file, I removed the rounded leading edge from the crampon. I did it on just one side. With this change, there is still a slight interference fit, but at I think it is acceptable. I haven't checked whether Dynafit has redesigned their crampons for 2006-07. Being cheap by nature, I don't want to buy new crampons if I don't have to.

If you already own Dynafit crampons and you buy a new pair of Comfort bindings, you will have this problem using your old crampons with your new bindings.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jonathan_S.
  • [Jonathan_S.]
More
19 Nov 2006 12:03 #176474 by Jonathan_S.
Replied by Jonathan_S. on topic Re: 2006-07 Dynafit Comfort compatibility problem
Whoah, thanks for the heads up!
However, the redesigned crampons that came out in fall of 2004 (or maybe even earlier?) work fine w/ the new Comfort plate. Unfortunately, many retailers have continued selling the old style since then (or so it appears from various etailer product photos), so for those of you have bought ski crampons since then, you still might have to do Lowell's mod.

More
07 Dec 2006 09:28 #176665 by Rickster
I kept forgetting to replay to this. I have crampons that were modified for the F1 boots- they won't even work- need more cutting/grinding.

I have seen a few companies making crampons that don't need a binding to attach to- does anyone know anything about these? I can't remember the company I've seen advertised- B&D or S&M- I guess I spend too much time with ropes???

More
07 Dec 2006 09:38 #176666 by Pete A
B&D (www.bndskigear.com) makes several sizes of dynafit compatible crampons that fits on skis up to 110mm in the waist.

And it looks like B&D is already offering a revised crampon that will work with the 06/07 Comfort bindings.

• oftpiste
  • [oftpiste]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
07 Dec 2006 16:48 #176673 by oftpiste

I kept forgetting to replay to this. I have crampons that were modified for the F1 boots- they won't even work- need more cutting/grinding.

I have seen a few companies making crampons that don't need a binding to attach to- does anyone know anything about these? I can't remember the company I've seen advertised- B&D or S&M- I guess I spend too much time with ropes???

The guys at proski in seattle were showing me a non-binding specific ski crampn the other day. Looked pretty slick.