Home > Trip Reports > Stevens Pass 11/14

Stevens Pass 11/14

11/15/06
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by Spin Fast on 11/15/06 4:38am
With there already being a few posts on fresh tracks at Stevens, I'll save the gruesome details (although I have to say I did not expect to feel the freedom of dropping a knee in perfect harmony in mid-November after the recent rain we've had.)

For what's it worth, I wanted to get a closer look out our snowpack so I dug a hasty pit on a roughly 35+ degree north facing, slightly wind impacted open slope. 100 cm of snow showing no distinguishable layers. A quick shovel shear test broke free after three hard hits with the fist. Dirty break, and it may have been ground brush that caused the break. It will be interesting to see what happens after today's rain.

Although they're not skiing per se, here are a couple pics to remind us that winter has indeed arrived.

Deception Falls area (which by the way was pretty ravaged from the past rain)

Old Man Winter has arrived (let's hope it sticks around)

Winter Warmth

Ian
Ian:  nice photos; the >1.66 aspect ratio is a nice touch.

Nice photos Ian, it was good to meet you while hiking on Big Chief. A great day indeed, with surprisingly good conditions. Can't wait for more.....

Jim

Thanks Kam. It seems that often I end up with panoramic-like shots after cropping and such. 

author=kam link=topic=5539.msg23265#msg23265 date=1163653353]
Ian:  nice photos; the >1.66 aspect ratio is a nice touch.

Reply to this TR

stevens-pass-11-14
Spin Fast
2006-11-15 12:38:24