Home > Trip Reports > Nov 10-11, 2006, - Green Valley, Crystal Mt.

Nov 10-11, 2006, - Green Valley, Crystal Mt.

11/10/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by snoslut on 11/12/06 11:59pm
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 8)

I'm okay now.

I was hesitant on writing this trip report since so many have beaten me to the punch, so to speak, but I feel compelled to do so.

My original plan of heading south to Hood was tabled after hearing the lastest mountain weather forecast.  Keeping it close, I decided to check out what Crystal had to offer.  By 9:30pm on Friday night I was in the parking lot letting the toyo get loose in the foot of fresh that had fallen.  Rest assure I wasn't the only one having fun in the parking lot.

Sleep was not going to come easy tonight.  So restless was I that by 11pm I started skinning underneath the faintly falling snow.  After a half hour or so the snow stopped, clouds parted and the moon, along with my headlamp, provided all the light I would need.  Progress was slow as I broke trail through moist snow ranging from 6'' to 20''.  After an hour of skinning I made it to the cat track.  Looking at the bottom of my skins I noticed all the sticking snow.  Resembled and acted as a snow shackle of sort.

The ride down...lets just say it felt good to be turning gingerly in fresh snow again.  Back at the car I tried to sleep but just tossed and turned every 15 minutes.  Then just when I was about ready to finally fall asleep Keith and Martin skin by.  Oh snap!  It's already quarter till 6!  I got my gear together and mustered some strength from a redbull.  here's Bill skinning up...

So far the weather traded off between gray/bluebird and the temps felt comfy enough to skin without gloves.  Once I gained Iceberg Ridge the wind picked up a little and then the excitement kicked in.

Keith and Martin

Almost there

At the summit house I waited for a break in the weather and proceeded to take the plunge into the white wintery bliss.

Here's a pic from the summit house of powder Bowl

The top 50ft had some hidden mines so turns were minimal.  Below that it didn't matter.  The kine winds made sure that there was enough snow.  Throughout the day the temps started to drop and the snow stuck to the skins less.  Curious to see how changing temps affect snowpack, I skinned up some steeper slopes next to Rex.  These short slopes next to the lift were getting wind loaded above the cat track.  All my thrashing and switchbacks produced only minor sluffing.  After enjoying a couple of laps to myself, Preston and Alex crested the ridge.  Soon to follow would be Rick, Patri, Chris, Rene, cityhick and company.

Feels so good to be riding powder again!  I'm looking at my calendar for this week and can't help but feeling happier than a puppy with two peters.

M - work
T - Crystal
W - work
Th - Baker
F - Baker
S - hmmm
S - hmmm

I now leave you with a pic of...
Saturday was really, really fun.  Sunday was really, really windy on the ridge (but still fun).  We bailed after a lap for warmer environs. 

Good to see you on the hill.

Nice dripper Alex...

snoslut, i'm curious what establishment of employment affords such a "bankers" schedule?  are they hiring  ;)

Gotta love that flexible work schedule.

chrism the establishment I work for is currently hiring if your interested.

Thanks Eric.....gross! ;D  I guess I owe you one.  I'll be sure to have my camera the next time we run into you. ;)

The snow was incredible, only felt a few rocks under the new snow on Saturday.  There was significantly more snow on Sunday.  The wind was really blowing up there. All the snow was blown off of ridge as the cat track approached the Rex, and the snow lower down was wind packed making progress through the lower angles more difficult.  More snow to come...sweet!!!!

I'll be sure to have my camera the next time we run into you.

Please do cause when conditions are right I usually sport some of my own tusks. ;D

Yeah just talked to a buddy that was up there on Sunday.  He was doing top to bottoms on the front side.  Enough said.

I also enjoyed the weekend goods.  Felt good to get back on the snow.  Good to run into Preston and Alex on the Up track briefly, that wind was a good reminder to throw the gloves and hood back on.  Loom, a new TAYer and I dropped into the valley then made a variation of memorial gardens (Skiers right of Iceberg) down to Rex....One discovery...spring took all my wax, what is the trick to not destroying my skins??

is it Saturday yet?

Reply to this TR

nov-10-11-2006-green-valley-crystal-mt
snoslut
2006-11-13 07:59:43