Home > Trip Reports > November 12, 2006, Ski Bowl (Mt Hood area)

November 12, 2006, Ski Bowl (Mt Hood area)

11/12/06
OR Mt Hood
Posted by Jeff Huber on 11/12/06 10:36am
Mt Hood has been getting nuked with snow since the Pineapple, but unfortunately - as you probably already know - the multiple washouts on highway 35 have cut off access to the eastside of Mt Hood, which has the most appropriate early season storm skinning destinations. So today to get my skinning/skiing fix, I went to Ski Bowl. Ski Bowl has some neat terrain, but often suffers from lackluster snow due to its low elevation. Fortunately it's been cold lately, so it has gotten a sufficient amount of snow for early season skinning. I skinned to the top of the upper bowl chair, then skied down canyon. I hit a lot of rocks and brush, but it's early Nov - I can't be too picky.

Ski Bowl in the morning:

My tracks at the bottom of upper bowl:

It was just me and my Dynafits today. No one else thought there was enough snow.
Nice report Jeff!  It's too bad about Hwy 35, but hopefully they'll be able to make headway soon and get some kind of temporary road in place, at least on the west side.  Zig Zag canyon is always an option, but lengthy!  I came across this report some time back.  http://www.spiritone.com/~carpjam/html/hood/paradise2.04.html

Reply to this TR

november-12-2006-ski-bowl-mt-hood-area
Jeff Huber
2006-11-12 18:36:07