Home > Trip Reports > Nov 12, 2006, Tombstone Pass, OR

Nov 12, 2006, Tombstone Pass, OR

11/12/06
OR elsewhere
Posted by stoudema on 11/12/06 7:59am
I woke up late this morning after my good friends 30th b-day party last night.  As I checked the web cameras and reports, I saw that the ODOT site claimed 12 inches of roadside snow at both Santiam and Willamette Passes.  However, Tombstone Pass (a lower pass along Hwy 20 west of Santiam Pass) had 18 inches of snow.  Could it be true?

I arrived at Tombstone Pass around 10:30, and it looked more like 6 inches than 18.  As I loaded my gear and pack, I decided to leave the snowshoes in the truck (not such a good decision as I later found out).  After I left the short gravel access road, I could tell that the snow was about 24 inches deep in the open areas (only about 6 inches in the thick trees).  I climbed up about 1100 feet from the pickup to about 5200 feet and decided to not push up any further being that I was by myself and there was weather looming in the afternoon forecast.  There were good views to the west and south, and I'll definitely be returning later this winter with more coverage.  The turns back down were sweet in the steeper areas (nice pow!), but difficult in the flats where I sank up to my knees.  Maybe I should have brought the longer board???

All things considered, it was a good day, and marked my 12th consecutive month of snowboarding 8).  The snow was anchored solidly to the ground, and there was no threat of avalanche, but that could change in the next few days (forecast calling for up to 1 foot of new snow).  Below are a few pictures:
Is that Three Fingered Jack? Looks like there is some good terrain out there. Might be the place to go for Portlanders shut out of the North and West side of Hood.

author=altasnob link=topic=5507.msg23172#msg23172 date=1163377907]
Is that Three Fingered Jack? Looks like there is some good terrain out there. Might be the place to go for Portlanders shut out of the North and West side of Hood.

It's actually Iron Mountain.  Three Fingered Jack (although much bigger) is several miles east, and has longer access.  I took a picture of TFJ today, but the light wasn't quite right and it didn't turn out.

author=stoudema link=topic=5507.msg23171#msg23171 date=1163375949]
  Maybe I should have brought the longer board???

Where have I heard this line before?  Still picking the wrong tools for the job.

I was just heading out of my soggy camp about the time you got to Tombstone.  All I got was a brutally steep slog up (and down) a narrow ridge in 4 inches of fluff...and a height measurement of one of the best waterfalls that nobody knows about.

At least you got your November, leaving me to play catch-up.  I may have to skip out on Smith Rock next weekend and get some turns.

Reply to this TR

nov-12-2006-tombstone-pass-or
stoudema
2006-11-12 15:59:09