Home > Trip Reports > Nov 11, 2006, R-ex and beyond, Crystal

Nov 11, 2006, R-ex and beyond, Crystal

11/11/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by cityhick on 11/11/06 3:18pm
I ran into snowslut mid-run today and when asked if I was a tay-er I realized I had been taking the lazy approach to the forum and hadn't ever really done anything other than read people's trip reports. So here it is, my first trip report which fittingly coincides with my first powder turns of the season.

After 5 plus days on muir and a couple days lapping palmer, the forecasts towards the end of last week were rather exciting. Long story short, I found that between school and work today was my only chance to take advantage of the new snow for awhile so with the pdise road closed off to crystal it was (as I will be stuck skiing at the ski expo next weekend feel free to stop by the Backpacker's supply table...but then again if you should be skiing so don't)

Major thanks to all that packed out the skin track up underneath rex. Unfortunately all of our skins were still clumping with a passion but so it goes. While we probably should have stayed down lower and enjoyed lapping some nice mellow runs with nothing but grass underneath we got greedy and went all the way to the top of rex. Needless to say there wasn't nearly enough covereage and I proceeded to make maybe two turns before douching myself on a rock taking my brand spanking new pretty pink helmet out of commission.

The day redeemed itself moments later with a few hundred feet of joyous powder, pulling me back from the encroaching depression that threatens every fall before the snow comes. Still many bails to be had but all and all a rocking day.

I should be writing a paper but this is much more fun and while I'm at it here's a little video I threw together of the day's footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uYHvn2odzg

I didn't have a camera but hopefully i'll be able to get a hold of some of my buddies' shots shortly

Reply to this TR

nov-11-2006-r-ex-and-beyond-crystal
cityhick
2006-11-11 23:18:48