Home > Trip Reports > Nov 11, 2006; Alpental (closed), International

Nov 11, 2006; Alpental (closed), International

11/15/06
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by cascadesfreak on 11/11/06 3:04pm
Optimistic of recent telemetry data and webcam photos during yesterday's first 'big' snow dump of the season at Snoqualmie Pass, and after initial plans farther north in the Cascades were thwarted by access issues, Skip and I set out for €œPlan B€ (Alpental) this morning.  We were greeted at the parking lot by ~12-to-18" of fresh heavy snow. 

Making use of a solo snowshoer€™s up-track, we ascended via Sessel/Debbie€™s Gold to Chair 2.  As the snowshoe track took a steep line up The Fan, we opted to seek out a mellower ascent route south of Chair 2.  Exhausting trail breaking in knee-to-waist deep Cascade cement drastically slowed our progress for the final ~1,000 vertical feet of the ascent, and climbing skin issues threatened to put a stop to up-ward progress (When skin glue fails, duct tape prevails!!! ;D).

Feeling eager to go here.
nice to hear Snoq. Pass is skiable!

Can you give any details about snowpack stability?  Any weak layers to be aware of?

author=hankj link=topic=5499.msg23157#msg23157 date=1163348015]
Can you give any details about snowpack stability?  Any weak layers to be aware of?

We opted for a hike with the dogs instead of breaking out the rock skis, but in any case, at the end of the day up near Snow Lake (which has a nicely pounded out trail which made for easy travel for the mobility-challenged dogs), there was quite a thick layer of graupel building up (didn't measure it, but based on rate of snowfall, I'm guessing maybe an inch or so). It was sluffing off the steeper cliff faces and falling into piles that reminded me of a similar effect I've seen on steep sand. In any case, there seemed to be a mix of lighter and heavier snow underneath which we didn't bother investigating carefully, but this graupel layer seems like a nice potential weak layer for the snow that's starting to build up on top of it.

Nice work, gents.

Not quite as spectacular as your last jaunt in the Tatoosh... ;)

J

Dude, everbody knows that "diet Rockstar" is where it's at!

:D ;D

Let me first say that I only went half-throttle with that strangely large can and it still gave me a stomach ache.  It seemed like a reasonable idea at the gas station.  In any case, I thought I would add a few more photos to provide a feel for downhill conditions:

upper international">
mid-mountain">
lower international">

author=hankj link=topic=5499.msg23157#msg23157 date=1163348015">

The snowpack as you may expect is thin--just the snow from recent days.  Consequently, it's strongly anchored.  To make sure of this I bottomed out with my skis every few turns.  There were a number of sections that were wind-loaded or otherwise consolidating, but there's nothing for the layers to run on yet.  As Jim mentioned, there was a period of time where graupel was falling; however, I can't imagine that it's going to remain for terribly long--which is just my opinion of course.

The bigger concern for the time being, at least for some, will be related to bases and edges.  Rock skis and/or a carefree approach are sure to bolster one's enjoyment.

I'd say the other big concern would be the noggin'.  Check out Cityhick's video from Crystal.  It is an excellent reminder to avoid headers until the snowpack gets a bit deeper.

author=cascadesfreak link=topic=5499.msg23153#msg23153 date=1163315045]
...and after initial plans farther north in the Cascades were thwarted by access issues... 

Does that mean that something near the Baker Dam washed out, or that there is just too much snow covering the acess roads?

Its excellent to see so much snow so close by -- thanks for the post!

- Kevin

nice to see this after my weekend in the mid-west, where a thrilling thunder and lightning storm made for my only weather wows.
nice job guys.
and lovely photos there skip.

Skip's right that the graupel shouldn't last long - looks like Wednesday should warm up a good deal, hopefully just enough to harden this stuff a bit over the rocks and brush, and we'll be off to a darned fine start!

author=skip link=topic=5499.msg23165#msg23165 date=1163356858]
It seemed like a reasonable idea at the gas station...

famous last words, skip...

glad you and the wipe had fun though! 

Reply to this TR

nov-11-2006-alpental-closed-international
cascadesfreak
2006-11-11 23:04:05