telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/20/17, 08:39 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Second Ascent
Second Ascent
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Road Conditions: mountain access
| | |-+  Road Access Issues Grow
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: Road Access Issues Grow  (Read 5499 times)
toby_tortorelli

Email
Road Access Issues Grow
« on: 11/09/06, 06:40 PM »

I'm sure this is just the tip of the iceberg. Forest service roads took a beating with the floods.  Closed/washed-out roads in the North Cascades include Canyon Cr. Rd., Church Mtn. Rd., Skyline Divide (deadhorse) Rd., Cascade River Rd., Hidden Lk./Sibley Cr., Green Mtn. Rd. http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/mbs/conditions/road_conditions_report.shtml            I also found information on a debris flow that took out a portion of Mt. Jefferson access. http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/willamette/general/detroit/wboard.php
I tend to worry more about Forest Service road closures than major highways and bi-ways. This is because the forest service roads take years of planning (not sure why) to reconstruct. Should we start a special road access section, since we are going to be dealing with this for years to come??? Might save somebody some gasoline in the future...
Scole

Re: Road Access Issues Grow
« Reply #1 on: 11/09/06, 09:13 PM »

I think Fed projects take years of planning because of a combination of both funding issues as well as the environmental review process. We all know that the Forest Service is enduring major budget cuts. When the funding is finally in place, those federal funds instantly add additional regulatory hoops. Now throw in other potential factors such as the Sauk River's federal status as a Wild & Scenic River (even more issues). I'm not bad-mouthing the process- just throwing some stuff out there..

In other news, I heard today that the Mountain Loop Highway has damage but probably isn't that bad. The Index-Galena Rd, on the other hand, has some SIGNIFICANT damage along many sections of the road..
climbinghighest

« Reply #2 on: 11/10/06, 06:05 AM »

Should we start a special road access section, since we are going to be dealing with this for years to come??? Might save somebody some gasoline in the future...

I think thats a good idea, as long as it doesnt become a cluttered mess.
Splitter

« Reply #3 on: 11/10/06, 08:16 AM »

Quote from Climbinghighest:
I think thats a good idea, as long as it doesnt become a cluttered mess

Perhaps each thread could have a road or section of road as the title.  Then the posts within the thread would become a chronological history of degradation/repair.
toby_tortorelli

Email
« Reply #4 on: 11/10/06, 09:12 AM »

Well, it doesn't look like this link is getting "hits" like some other topics. It will probably fall by the wayside (maybe I should re-name the topic to say I-5 washes out to get more hits!). People are fretting about major roads that are already in the re-building phases. In my opinion, the forest service roads are the ones we should be fretting over. In the Nooksack Valley, the majority of the available roads used for backcountry skiing have been closed. To give an idea of the time it takes to rebuild FS Road washouts; the Wells Cr. road, which took a hit in the 2003 flood, just finished getting repairs last month....I agree that organization of road closures could become a cluttered mess. But, if there was not a discussion component to it, or just an "updates only" discussion, then it could be quite "clean".... In any case, the above links to the USFS road conditions should be useful in the future. I was surprised to see it updated so quickly after the flood.
curmudgeon

« Reply #5 on: 11/10/06, 11:30 AM »

2000 hits on road related threads in the past few days seems like a bit of interest to me!

Thinking about a road-conditions forum, I realized that just as soon as I read a report on such a thread, I would check with the FS road conditions page for that area to see if there was an update. I have the FS road conditions pages for the MBS and G-P National Forests bookmarked for quick and compulsive access to information on the roads I use.

However, when I am on a computer other than my own, it takes me a few clicks to get FS road reports.  Rather than a forum on road updates, I would like to see Charles put links to the WA FS road update pages under the "WSDOT" link in the "home pages" dropdown.  Or, maybe have a "road conditions" drop down.

Of course, there would still be some need for road update threads to keep folks posted on information newer than that on the FS pages, and to confuse each other with rumors. For example, the WSDOT pages say that SR 542 is closed to traffic both ways at Coal Creek, just past the Canyon Creek turn-off.  And, yet, I heard second hand reports indicating that folks with high clearance vehicles have been getting past this "closure".  I'd love to hear a first-hand report.

toby_tortorelli

Email
« Reply #6 on: 11/10/06, 01:21 PM »

2000 hits on road related threads in the past few days seems like a bit of interest to me!

Yeah Tim, I was talking about this thread.  And don't really see how that was unclear.
skip

« Reply #7 on: 11/10/06, 01:39 PM »

I would like to see Charles put links to the WA FS road update pages under the "WSDOT" link in the "home pages" dropdown.  Or, maybe have a "road conditions" drop down.

Perhaps you're speaking to something else, but there's already links to roads conditions in the various FS and NPS units under the Access Links (at top)--albeit some are broken links.  I agree with you, however, that it would be interesting to know about first-hand, bc traveler accounts of road closures.
« Last Edit: 11/10/06, 01:47 PM by skip » Logged
curmudgeon

« Reply #8 on: 11/10/06, 05:15 PM »

Perhaps you're speaking to something else, but there's already links to roads conditions in the various FS and NPS units under the Access Links (at top)--albeit some are broken links.  I agree with you, however, that it would be interesting to know about first-hand, bc traveler accounts of road closures.

WOW!!  That Charles is quick!

I mention an idea at 11:30, and here at 5:13 it is already in place!  Embarrassed Embarrassed
Charles

« Reply #9 on: 11/10/06, 09:40 PM »

Should we start a special road access section, since we are going to be dealing with this for years to come???
I'd been wondering the same thing, Toby. These individual threads are going to get lost down the list at some point. I also have the feeling that, as bc skiers, we've yet to hear the really bad road news, at least relating to spring/summer skiing next year.

I've thought a little about a new section here for road info. This could be used to post links to official sources of info, to copy/paste info from those sources, or to post 1st or 2nd hand accounts/photos about road conditions. I think a separate section would be warranted given that this flooding will probably affect skiing access for a number of years to come. If the section turned out to not be useful, or was no longer needed, it could be easily deleted. Perhaps I should go ahead and set up a prototype "road condition reports" section and then people can give feedback on adjustments, etc?

I mention an idea at 11:30, and here at 5:13 it is already in place!
Tim, you mostly got that right, except that it was already in place at 5:13, five years ago - how's that for service!

Skip is right - there are many Forest Service road links in the "Access Links" section. Sorry about the broken links - when I set that up I had no idea that so many links would change so often. For each NF or NP subsection there is included a link for the relevant "home page" though, and this can always be used as a back door to find a page when the TAY link is broken. I try to go through and fix broken links twice a year - once about now (haven't gotten to it yet), and again in the spring right as things are starting to open up access-wise. I'm always open to adding new useful links (same for Weather Links section)...
ron j

« Reply #10 on: 11/11/06, 08:54 AM »

Michael Fagin at WOWWeather.com does a fairly detailed road access assessment when changes are happening in his weekly weekend backcountry weather forecast.
His his organizational layout is similar to our "Ski Route Photos" section which I find well laid out and rather handy to get right to the area of my interest.  Mike's listings of major geographic areas may be worth considering as a format for our "access section" in order to mitigate the potential clutter and confusion alluded to by climbinghighest.

Here's a snippet from Mike's report of yesterday:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Road and Trail Update ** Updated recently With Flood Info

Special Note
You should check the latest updates before you head out since we are in a very active weather pattern and will have additional precipitation which can cause additional damage. Here are a couple of web sites to check out
DOT http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/weather/updates/
Mt Rainier http://www.mountrainierclimbing.blogspot.com/

North Cascades
**Mt Baker Hwy is closed in both directions. This closure is temporary.
**North Cascades Highway  Temporarily closed. Mud and debris over roadway between mile post 134 and mile post 171
**Harts Pass closed .

Mt. Rainier Area
The Mt. Rainier Park remains closed and to get updates call. 360-569-2211 ext 9
** White Pass Roadway is closed at milepost 130 between Packwood and Randle due to water over the roadway. No Detour is available.
**Road to Paradise is closed due to a major washout near the former Sunshine Campground. There is a 1/4 mile of the road washed out and the Park is working now for detour options
**Westside Road is washed out
**Corral Pass is closed.
**Carbon River Rd.is closed with major damage. Ipsut Cr Campground is under water and probably destroyed.   
**Chinook Highway 410 has reopened at milepost 74.5 (Morris Creek Gate) to milepost 57.5 (Gate at Crystal Mountain Blvd), after rock and mudslides caused by heavy rain activity were cleared.
**Cayuse Pass Hwy 123  is  closed for the season. Closed: SR 123 north of White Pass (mp 0 to Cayuse Pass
**Stevens Canyon Rd is closed and has sustained major damage
**Sunrise Rd. is closed for the season..
**Mowich Lake Rd.is closed for the season.
**White River Road is closed for the season
**Hwy 410 is now open so one can get from Enumclaw through Greenwater to the Crystal  Mt. Blvd.
**Skate Creek Road 52 is open but there is some mud debris

Olympics
Forest Road 24 to Staircase Entrance into Olympic National Park remains closed due Hurricane Ridge open
**Hoh River Rd. closed from storm damage
**North Shore of Qu. closed due to storm damage
**Obstruction Point Road is closed for the season.
**Hurricane Hill is closed for the season..
**Deer Park Road is  closed.
**Hurricane road status. Please call first as this road can close at any time.  360-565-3131

Teanaway/Salmon La Sac
** Can drive to the end of the NF of Teanaway

Stevens Pass
**Hwy 2 was closed and has re opened however:
US 2 at Sunset Falls Slide east of Gold Bar (milepost 35.7-37)
The eastbound lane is closed to traffic due to a landslide in the area.  Crews may close the westbound lane as well.  Flaggers are alternating traffic through the area.

Snoq Pass
** MP 56. Flood damage closes this road at about MP 15. Road surface has been eroded.
** Talapus Lake Rd 9030 is washed out at the junction with FS Road 9031.
**Mason Lake Rd. 9031 is washed out at the junction with FS Road 9030

Mountain Loop
**Just closed at the Blue bridge just east of the Verlot  station
Also closed at MP 35.6 (18 miles from Darrington, past Road 49 and Bedal Campground)
Chewuch (5160) closed at Lake Creek due to flood

South Cascades
**FS 20 closed bridge out.
** FS 21 and FS 24 are closed
**SR 131 is closed in both directions near Randle

"When I stop having fun I'm turnin' around"
"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." - Niels Bohr
"If a given person makes it a priority not to die in an avalanche, he or she stands a very good chance of living a long, happy life in the mountains." - Jill Fredston
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.