telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
06/19/19, 11:59 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Road Conditions: mountain access
| | |-+  Road Conditions - Oregon
| | | |-+  Highway 35 to Meadows Washed Out!!!
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: Highway 35 to Meadows Washed Out!!!  (Read 7931 times)
stoudema

Highway 35 to Meadows Washed Out!!!
« on: 11/08/06, 03:25 PM »

Check out these pictures of Highway 35 at White River Canyon.  The canyon has washed out and deposited huge amounts of rock and debris in its place!  This looks fairly major.

The first picture is taken from the downstream side of the White River Bridge.  The second picture is taken from the entrance of the White River Snowpark.

* White_River_Washout2.jpg (77.5 KB, 1000x666 - viewed 2034 times.)

* White_River_Washout3.jpg (81.39 KB, 1000x667 - viewed 1997 times.)
« Last Edit: 11/09/06, 12:36 PM by stoudema » Logged

There is nothing more practical in the end than the preservation of beauty." - Theodore Roosevelt
Marcus
Administrator

Re: Highway 35 to Meadows Washed Out!!!
« Reply #1 on: 11/08/06, 03:31 PM »

Wow!  That second picture is particularly impressive...  No more access to our volcanoes.  So sad...
Pete A

« Reply #2 on: 11/08/06, 04:00 PM »

time to organize a group buy on a helicopter?   

here's to hoping that snoqualmie pass starts to get some snow soon....seems like it might be the only mountain highway left in washington that hasn't been affected by the flooding.

Scole

« Reply #3 on: 11/08/06, 05:55 PM »

Holy Schnike..

I'm sure ODOT will get it cleared. That highway is CRITICALLY important to Hood River's economy (lift/lodging packages..).

Impressive none the less..
cw
5Member

« Reply #4 on: 11/08/06, 09:12 PM »

curious that the sign post stayed standing in that bottom picture with all those huge rocks around it..
philfort

« Reply #5 on: 11/08/06, 10:27 PM »

That would be a good ad for whatever company made those signs.
mej

« Reply #6 on: 11/08/06, 11:24 PM »

It was probably made by the USFS.  Your NW forest pass dollars at work.
philfort

« Reply #7 on: 11/08/06, 11:38 PM »

I knew I got a pass for a reason!
David_Coleman

« Reply #8 on: 11/09/06, 07:54 AM »

Much like Amar's excellent reconciliation of rainfall stats, it'll be interesting (and depressing) to see a synopsis of roads damaged in the Washington Cascades & what that will ultimately mean for access to various locations.
stoudema

« Reply #9 on: 11/09/06, 12:35 PM »

Apparently Highway 35 also washed out near Newton Creek and is closed at Parkdale, thereby isolating Meadows Ski Resort from either side.  The news channels on tv are saying the highway may not open up untill summer, as it's getting to cold to pave now.  This could be a serious loss of revenue for Meadows, not to mention loss of access to some great backcountry.  Don't plan on hiking the resort prior to opening either.  Here's an additional picture of Hwy 35 just south of Pocket Creek Snowpark.  The creek alongside the highway is Clark Creek prior to Newton Creek.

* Image.jpg (87.95 KB, 1000x666 - viewed 1780 times.)
« Last Edit: 11/09/06, 12:38 PM by stoudema » Logged

There is nothing more practical in the end than the preservation of beauty." - Theodore Roosevelt
Jeff Huber

« Reply #10 on: 11/09/06, 01:43 PM »

This is awful.

Scole

« Reply #11 on: 11/09/06, 05:38 PM »

Stoudema,

Thanks for the GREAT pictures. I noticed that ODOT's website has no photos and just a quick blurb about the problems. Anyways, I work for the Public Works department of my county up here in Washington and your photos were quite popular. Very dramatic..
stoudema

« Reply #12 on: 11/09/06, 09:35 PM »

Scole,

No problem on the pictures.  I happend upon them at work in an email from a coworker and couldn't believe my eyes.  I'm not sure who took them, but I have more which I should share.  I posted the pictures because I haven't heard a lot on this story in the southern Willamette Valley and couldn't find much on the ODOT website.  I did hear that a 3 mile stretch of hwy 35 was wiped out near Newton Creek (but I'm not sure if that's reality or hearsay).  i do know that the road is out in several locations.  Check out the Meadows webpage for updates on road closures.... www.skihood.com.  I'm hoping for the best......

markharf

« Reply #13 on: 11/09/06, 09:56 PM »

I'd be interested if anyone can tell me whether the following very interesting explanation represents an approximation of the truth.  I ask because the topic of glaciers "filled with water," the weight of which causes glacial outburst floods, was not covered in the glacial geology course I took many years ago.

(quote) We had a 6-day pineapple express rain storm which filled the glaciers with water. The weight of the water then caused glacial outbursts which sent debris torrents down the mountain canyons all around Mt. Hood. This phenomenon typically occurs in the fall when the glaciers are open and exposed. In the winter, after the snow comes, the deep new snow kind of “grouts” in the glaciers and stabilizes them for the most part – even during heavy rain storms. (unquote)

source

Mark
Jeff Huber

« Reply #14 on: 11/09/06, 10:28 PM »

Yeah I was just about to link to Dave's blog entry.
http://skihood.com/cs/blogs/daveriley/default.aspx

Jeff Huber

« Reply #15 on: 11/09/06, 10:40 PM »

This is really grim. Not having access to the east side of Mt Hood drastically limits the ski options on Mt Hood.. Some people have stated we'll be lucky if we get access from the HR side by the end of winter, and the govy side is improbable before summer. Dave Reily is more optimistic though. We'll see.
« Last Edit: 11/09/06, 10:47 PM by Jeff Huber » Logged

Jeff Huber

« Reply #16 on: 11/11/06, 11:08 PM »

Damn. It's puking like crazy up there right now. 2.12" WE in the past 24hrs at Tline. 3.06" since the Pineapple. That translates to 30.6"inches of snow! And more is on the way!

But sadly we can't access the most approriate early season skinning spots right now Sad

stoudema

« Reply #17 on: 11/17/06, 04:08 PM »

Dave Riley's updated his blog with some construction pictures and some encouraging news.......

http://skihood.com/cs/blogs/daveriley/default.aspx

Jeff Huber

« Reply #18 on: 11/17/06, 05:23 PM »

Yeah!!! We have our own forum now. And things are looking better and better and better for highway 35. ODOT has given a goal date opening by December 15th!!!  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Bryony
1Member

« Reply #19 on: 11/19/06, 06:48 PM »

I'd be interested if anyone can tell me whether the following very interesting explanation represents an approximation of the truth.  I ask because the topic of glaciers "filled with water," the weight of which causes glacial outburst floods, was not covered in the glacial geology course I took many years ago.

(quote) We had a 6-day pineapple express rain storm which filled the glaciers with water. The weight of the water then caused glacial outbursts which sent debris torrents down the mountain canyons all around Mt. Hood. This phenomenon typically occurs in the fall when the glaciers are open and exposed. In the winter, after the snow comes, the deep new snow kind of “grouts” in the glaciers and stabilizes them for the most part – even during heavy rain storms. (unquote)

source

Mark

I don't know if the exact explanation given is correct but Mt. Hood is subject to glacial outwash events, especially on the Muddy Fork of the Sandy and even more on White River. Water builds up in a glacier and in a warm rain event here whatever is damming it can give way. It may be ice, it may moraine, the result is the same - a sudden large release of water resulting in a debris flow. These events were named jökulhlaup in Iceland where really really big ones occur. Link: www.hi.is/~mmh/gos/photos3.html  Wikipedia has a good article as well, or Google it.

The attached photo shows the huge hole in the Sandy Glacier which resulted from an event 3 or 4 years ago. This hole, most visible from McNeil Point, is from the event that resulted in a large debris deposit at Old Maid Flats, shown in the second photo. Sections of mature forest disappeared and other sections were buried and died. Where the trail meets the debris flow, bark was knocked off the still standing trees up to about 18 ft. Jumbles of whole trees several feet thick  line the trail in spots.

Also found this report with a good picture of White River from higher up. IF the trees near the river are 25 ft. high, then the banks are now 100 ft. rather than 10 or so before: http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=5559.0

* Sandy_Glacier_Meltdown1.jpg (97.94 KB, 560x420 - viewed 654 times.)

* Looking_Down4.jpg (91.89 KB, 560x420 - viewed 699 times.)
Jeff Huber

« Reply #20 on: 12/04/06, 10:29 PM »

Highway 35 is opening this Saturday, December 9th, at 5am.

Woot.

stoudema

« Reply #21 on: 12/05/06, 08:55 AM »

Yeah,

Meadows is opening that same day for the season Grin

Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.