Home > Trip Reports > Nov 5- Paradise Patch- MRNP

Nov 5- Paradise Patch- MRNP

11/15/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Scotsman on 11/7/06 2:03am
Sorry for a rather belated report. Nothing very exciting but notable only because it was my 3 year TAY anniversary.  ;D
On Sunday, Ron J, Mad-dog and I managed to catch a few turns between storms.
On the drive up , the whole mountain was visible for some time and there was even some sun! :D

Parked at the visitor center,( gate is still up and "winterization" of the construction site seems to be progressing slowly) and hiked up to Pan Point. Snow level was about 6000 ft. Due to need to get off hill due to impeding storm, we went to the "patch".

Snow was fozen snot with a crust. First lap was in low visibilty but on subsequent laps , visibilty improved. You could stay ontop without breaking through if you had fat skis and "thought light". ;)

Cold wind, but no precip and we manged to get back to the cars just as the rain began.
Saw some other skies ahead of us braving the Muir snowfield. Hope they had a good time.
Ron has pictures.

Scotsman.
Way to get after it!

Climbinghighest, his buddy Chris and myself braved the storm on Friday and made it to 7,150ft.  Sideways rain/sleet/snow mix with a constant 40mph wind, with occassional stronger gusts, and near whiteout conditions turned us around.  Skiied down in split mode down to where the Pan Pt traverse starts going down.  Climbinghighest on his homemade skiied all the way down Pan Pt and beyond.  The snow was wet fresh.

A kayak would have been a more suitable device for sliding.

You're right, Scotty, we sure did nail the good weather window -- the forecast was spot on, both timing and the 6k ft snow level forecast.
And congrads on knocking out 3 years, Scotty.
Here's a shot of Scotty with the kind of ski buddy that makes getting to 3 yrs of year round skiing a lot easier:

More pics HERE.

author=Scotsman link=topic=5469.msg23024#msg23024 date=1162922636]
it was my 3 year TAY anniversary.  ;D
  It was nice sharing your TAY anniversary  ;D, with some fairly good turns.
author=Scotsman link=topic=5469.msg23024#msg23024 date=1162922636] You could stay ontop without breaking through if you had fat skis and "thought light". ;)
  No "kaboom" here, but did manage to see a couple though  ;).

Way to squeak in a few before it hit the fan.  Looks like it'll be awhile before anyone gets back up there.
It was a good time meeting you at the Snowbash.  Glad we got to talk early on.  My hearing will never be the same.

I was there too, perhaps the last party off the hill. The wind at Pan Pt was blowing something fierce, and it was raining sideways, so we settled on the patch. Managed to ski down to Golden Gate and on the trail below, which turned out to be a bad idea since there wasn't enough room to stop and I basically had to crash to stop before flying off the switchbacks.

Nice timing on the 'weather window'; hopefully the entire 'patch' didn't get washed away in the monsoon...

Nice work Chris and gang,
By the looks of this picture you are either cleaning up the parking lot with your teeth or started smokin again. ;)

Joe

Hey Jodebaker,
I'm being sponsored by the R.J. Reynold's Randonee Team. There's not many of us and our career's are short-lived. ;D

Very bad example.My bad.

I think that it is high time that you joined the year round skier page, Chris. A third TAY anniversary is a good excuse to do it now.

I know that Ron is trying out a new photo site, all I'm able to see in his original post is a box with a red X in it  :'(, is anyone else having trouble viewing the photo insert in the thread? 

Why yes Maddog.  Just right click on your mouse and select "show picture" and it should show up.  It does for me anyways.

Ron,
being the gentleman that he is ,thought  in retrospect that the picture of me with a cigarette in my mouth may have embarressed me so he nuked it and that is why it's not coming up.

It didn't ,as I don't hide the fact that I am an addict and have a tobacco drug problem but I appreciate his consideration and that's what makes him such a fine fellow.

Scotty.

I am an addict and have a tobacco drug problem

This whole time I thought cigs were addicted to you.

Reply to this TR

nov-5-paradise-patch-mrnp
Scotsman
2006-11-07 10:03:56