Home > Trip Reports > nov,2, dragontail couloir, flattop mtn, rmnp

nov,2, dragontail couloir, flattop mtn, rmnp

11/15/06
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by danhelmstadter on 11/3/06 3:13am
damn winds in rmnp are hanous, the powder of the past seems to have been wind hardend into various stages of wind affected snow in the locations ive been recently, everything seems to be pretty well bonded, and not rotted out quite yet, although im sure this will change soon. the dragontail, one of many couloirs off of flattop, was a much more challenging ski than it has been the past times ive skiied it in the spring, the snow conditions on for the top half were mostly hard windpack, with pockets of powder, the lower half was a horrendous mix of bulletproof suncrusted winpack and various crusts, much differant from the corn of spring. There were also multiple rock steps in the upper west fork , some were downclimbable, but there were two mandatory rappels, luckily there were plenty of horns around as i only had slings with me for pro, although difficult ,it was an enjoyable ski, as im not used to skiing steeps with pre-spring conditions, you guys in the nw can ski steeps through the winter though right, just not right after storms?
these pics were all taken about midway down
Nice work -- looks narrow!  Got any pictures of the whole line?

Brings back sweet memories of the Dragontail in July. And, well, I was climbing it instead!
Well done, MRNP is a fantastic place.... :)

Cool beans, i wish I could be skiing some steeps :)

Yeah, Telemetry says don't go.

Reply to this TR

nov-2-dragontail-couloir-flattop-mtn-rmnp
danhelmstadter
2006-11-03 11:13:29