Home > Trip Reports > October 28, 2006; Coleman-Deming Again....

October 28, 2006; Coleman-Deming Again....

10/15/06
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by David_Coleman on 10/29/06 8:13am
Headed to Baker for 2nd time in as many weeks with Jason, Phil and Sky.  Thinking that other locales would be a zoo, we were correct in that we had all of Mt. Baker's Coleman-Deming to ourselves.  Left trailhead somewhere after 5.  Plenty of new snow even to the lower flanks of the Coleman Glacier, which provided us with quite the trap crust on the boot up.  Reaching the main traverse along the lower Coleman, conditions remained firm.  At around 8k conditions remained fairly firm.  The weather was beautiful around the mountain proper; however, you could see that high winds dominated above roughly 9k.  There was 1 roll that had some wind slab potential (also having noticed it over on Colfax Pk, but for slightly different reasons). Reaching the same bridge I dreaded coming down 2 weeks prior, I could see that it had suffered from further erosion.  Sky crossed it first without a problem and Jason followed.  Phil and I remained suspect for 2 different reasons.  Not wanting to cross it unroped, that became our stopping point.  Sky and Jason continued to the top of the Roman Wall, where they were met with constant high winds.  The first 1,000 feet or so provided for some nice powder over a base, which quickly gave way to "windshield wiper turns" and then just straight-up ice that was hard to hold an edge even on a 5 degree slope.  At a point of a tricky zig-zag crevasse crossing we decided to walk down as the skiing was just not worth it.  Sky and Jason had some good powder on the Roman Wall, of which maybe he'll post a pic.  In the meantime, here's some pics of Phil Fortier carving up the Coleman-Deming icefest:
Thanks Dave, it was a great day to get out.

Here's a pic:

Here's some more.  This is a new webpage that I am working on. Since I had time today, I put this part up, but most links are not working or are half done cause I'm not finished with everything yet.  I will be soon :) Hope you guys enjoy. http://www.cascadecrusades.org/cascadecrusades/SkiMountaineering/baker/colemandemming/colemandemmingoct2006/cdoct2006.htm

Great picture, Jason. "Phil and Dave roped up" is a winner, too.

Jeah Jason. That is one hell of a camera you got there.

Jas - You should know by now that Mr. Sjue never tires!  8)

As Tony said, those are some amazing pics.  That camera appears to be worth every penny!  Nice job.

Thanks guys, I've been working hard to do as good a job as I can :) I'm glad you enjoyed them all.

Jason,
I love you.  Thanks for the great pics and cool website.  But please remember that my life is worth more than your camera!  If only you could see the scabs on my forehead.  I think I'm mentally damaged from getting bashed in the head with your skis; I'll no longer take responsibility for my rash behavior.

Also thanks to Dave and Phil for a great time on the Baker's Horn.  Even if the cornucopia was frozen...

author=skykilo link=topic=5438.msg22890#msg22890 date=1162238290]
Jason,
I love you.  Thanks for the great pics and cool website.  But please remember that my life is worth more than your camera!  If only you could see the scabs on my forehead.  I think I'm mentally damaged from getting bashed in the head with your skis; I'll no longer take responsibility for my rash behavior.

Also thanks to Dave and Phil for a great time on the Baker's Horn.  Even if the cornucopia was frozen...

Ha. Ha. That sucker almost when for a ride didn't it? Maybe the injury will help your rash behavior. I doubt it could make it worse. Who knows, maybe it knocked some gears back into place? You never know, there's always hope :) One day you could be a normal person.  ;)

Reply to this TR

october-28-2006-coleman-deming-again
David_Coleman
2006-10-29 16:13:32