Home > Trip Reports > October 22, 2006, - Ptarmigan Ridge

October 22, 2006, - Ptarmigan Ridge

10/22/06
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Dave_R on 10/23/06 12:24am
I had such a nice hike last month out to the Sholes that I quickly agreed to go again when Debbie suggested we take a hike out there, though she wisely stated that she would not drag her skis in that far for such pathetic pickings.  I, on the other hand, was thinking that though I had skied much better conditions in October before, this October would make it 12 consecutive months and just maybe I could find my swiss army knife that likely was left at the second lunch spot back in September...

I can recommend Ptarmigan Ridge right now for the bears - two of them, one up trail, the other down, grazing berries on the south slopes of Table; for the goats - the local herd pretty much where they always are near Coleman Pinnacle; for the raptors - migrating through and checking out the thermals; and for the social interactions with the myriad hikers wondering why you've got skis on your pack.  I cannot recommend it for the skiing until we get a fair dressing to cover up the ice.

Again, the hike took us almost to the Portals at the edge of the Sholes.  Last season's snow has retreated a bit since Lowell & I were there last month and the ice that is exposed now has a nice refrozen melt/rain sheen to it.  Quite grey & glassy in fact - take note - I chose to side step my way back up & off one piece to avoid the possible slip & slide down a 100 foot abrade-o-matic patch at the base of the eastern Sholes bulge.  I was unable to thread together the route from September, but had a nice sunny ski day nonetheless.

It's gotta snow sometime soon.

-Dave R
I wanna see a bear!!! lol  ;D

Most of the time you just see the bear's butt sticking up out of the bushes.  Not too exciting nor scenic.  Here's a shot where he/she came up for air.  Obviously carb loading for the upcoming ski season.

-Dave

Reply to this TR

october-22-2006-ptarmigan-ridge
Dave_R
2006-10-23 07:24:32