Home > Trip Reports > October 21, 2006, Camp Muir, Oregonian perspective

October 21, 2006, Camp Muir, Oregonian perspective

10/21/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Jeff Huber on 10/22/06 3:07pm
I have lived in the PNW for five years during which I have visited Mt Rainier often. Yet each time I visit, I am awed by the volcano€™s grander and beauty just like the first time I saw it. This trip was no different. We were treated to splendid fall colors, views of rugged glaciers, and the watchful eyes of Adams and St Helens. It was a treat to ski on Mt Rainier again on Saturday. Aaron and I did the standard trip from Paradise to Camp Muir. Conditions were good.

Me below Muir:

Aaron with Mt Adams:

End of day shot of Mt Rainier with an unknown family in the foreground:

Lovely pictures Jeff.  It was a lovely weekend. ::)Did you see Mt.St. Helens erupt on Sat afternoon or where you down by then?

We did catch St Helens blowing some smoke. Here's a photo. Soon we will be skiing that.  :)

Nice report Jeff!  I can't wait to get out to Hood on Saturday (lots of studying for my professional engineering exam has kept me w/o turns yet this month, but the test is on Friday, so turns will commence on Saturday).  I've been wanting to get up to Muir for a while now.  How long does it take you to get there from Portland?  I'm wondering how many hours/days I should plan on from the Eugene/Corvallis area of the valley.  Also, is there a good place at Paradise to spend the night?  Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt - We usually plan for it take 3 hours from Portland to Paradise. Sometimes it'll take a bit longer; sometimes a bit quicker. An inexpensive place to stay close to Rainier is the Whittaker's Bunkhouse:
http://www.whittakersbunkhouse.com/

I've actually never stayed there, but my friends Ann & Andy use to.

Reply to this TR

october-21-2006-camp-muir-oregonian-perspective
Jeff Huber
2006-10-22 22:07:21