Home > Trip Reports > Oct 22, Paradise Patch Mt. Rainer

Oct 22, Paradise Patch Mt. Rainer

10/15/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Stewie on 10/22/06 11:45am
Hi my name is Stewie, I'm 14 years old and I'm Scotsman's son.  This is my first trip report. ;D
My Dad and I were heading to the Muir snowfield when we met Ron J, Maddog, and JW at the base of Pan Point. They suggested we go with them to a secret stash in Paradise Valley.  I had to promise Mr. Jarvis not to tell its exact location or he would have to kill me. :'(

We skied the patch 5 or 6  times and the snow was terrific!  My new Volkl Mantras were excellent. ;D
Then Mr. Jarvis and Mr. White tied a rope around my waist and dragged me across the snow while filming for Mr. White's crevasse rescue video.  My Dad says this is normal and part of Mr. Jarvis's initiation ceremony. ???

We then went to the Tall Timbers and had dinner while watching the videos and pictures taken of the day.  Thanks to everybody for a great day!!! :D

My dad was a real stud and skied great!!  { ::) He told me to say this}
Welcome to TAY, Stewie. I'm impressed that you survived Mr. Jarvis initiation rite and lived to write this TR!

Here is Stewie in action 8) Glad to have you along Stew and thanks for letting us drag you across the snow ;) It didn't hurt that bad did it?

Thanks for the picks Jerry!!! ;D It didnt hurt too much it was fun sliding down and I hope that footage works out for you!! :D
I'm hooked now so i will see you soon! 8)

Nice job Stewart, good thing there was hiking;)
Maybe Nicky can get out there with you and you guys can do your avi training together.

Stewart, it was great having you along, someone has to keep "Scottie" in line  ;D.  This particular October ski was one of the best I can ever remember, with at least 2 to 3 inches of fresh over a very bullet proof base.  After several laps, there was still enough fresh left over for several more trips.  With the beautiful clear sunny skies and vibrant fall colors, it was a perfect day spent with great friends.  Thanks Chris for the never ending source of "silver lined" imprinted visual images :D.

It was hard to believe such a change in only a week. Last week it was a full on blizzard  conditions and a week later, it's t-shirts and dreaming of frozen margaritas. 8)
Although the patch is small , it's steep and so much fun when the snow is that good. Hero corn!

Very proud of my son, he fitted into the "Paradise Posse" just fine. ;D
Thanks to all.

However, this warm and sunny weather must now come to an immediate stop and it must start snowing.  :(Can you beliee the conditions they are getting in Colorado. Go to www.wildsnow and see the powder they where skiing in this weekend.

Anybody, want to cash in some frequent flier miles and get some Colorado powder?

Stewart, that may be the best "First Post" trip report I've seen.  High Five.
Looks like we may be able to spare you for at least one more trip  ;)

The weather and snow conditions teamed up for some spectacular skiing; the best ever for the patch this time of year.

Below are shots of Scotty lapping the rest of us and Jerry demonstrating his very best TAY form.

More pictures HERE.

Hey there Stewie, your Dad is stoked to have a new touring partner, I'm sure.  You're getting into the best sport out there as far as I'm concerned.  Here's to many years of turning all year!

Nice pics Ron.  Good to see the gang doing what it does best.

Stewart,

Nice to see someone found the goods on Sunday.  That looks way less scratchy than what I found by Baker.  Should have gone to Muir and brought Brett (13yrs) with me, then the two of you really could have kept us oldsters in line.  Though If I introduce Brett to you, he'll expect me to get him some new Mantras too...

Keep on finding that snow.

-Dave R

Hey, check out the Steven's Pass web cam!

I think the visor with a bald head was a gutsy move on my behalf , but you know I think it worked for me! ;)
Scottie.

Chris, I thought that photo was showing a little shine on top ::)...  Is that new, or do I only see you in hat wearing environments?  The first time I went up to Muir I didn't wear a hat.  It was a bluebird day and man, did my scalp get cooked?  Speaking of cooked, did you get Stewie one of those nasty, overcooked burritos from the gas station on the way home from Paradise?

It is great to see that you're bringing in the next generation.

JibberD,
            My little ripper has decided to be a vegan and won't enjoy the delights of a tasty burrito that has cured under the heat lamp for 12 hrs at the Ashford gas station ::) some people just don't know what the are missing! ;D  They are yummy in my tummy!! 8)

God dad!! im not vegan im vegetarian!!! >:(

Well done, Stewie! You've done well to survive your dad's initiation, he always tries to kill his ski partners off via weather, or inedible heatlamp "goodness."

Stewie, my apologies. I stand corrected. You are also not an English major judging by your post so hit those grammer books son ! ;D

Ah, why if it isn't my arch nemesis, Rocky Blue.

author=Stewie link=topic=5406.msg22787#msg22787 date=1161726047]
God dad!! im not vegan im vegetarian!!! >:(

I think the younger generation is going to show us old farts how to live. My 10-year-old son has decided that he doesn't eat beef. I don't know where that came from, but it sounds fine to me.

On the other hand, I was weaned on McDonald's hamburgers and french fries, so I'm beyond help.  ;)

It's taken me quite a while to sort through my photos from the past October Paradise Patch ski, but it seems to be an appropriate time to post a few of these, given the latest storm that has hit Mt Rainier and surrounding area very hard  :'(.  It seems strange to see the conditions we were skiing less than one month ago  :D.

http://groups.msn.com/WildHeartsSkiing/paradisepatch102206.msnw?Page=2&lc=1033

Reply to this TR

oct-22-paradise-patch-mt-rainer
Stewie
2006-10-22 18:45:12