Home > Trip Reports > Oct 21, 2006, Bolton Valley VT

Oct 21, 2006, Bolton Valley VT

10/21/06
Posted by Jonathan_S. on 10/21/06 12:20pm
I still have yet to ski 12 months in a row (something about New England residency and being several thousand years too late for the last glaciers in these parts), but I have now skied 15 Octobers in a row (one on natural snow in CA, five on natural snow in northern New England, and nine back when Killington used to stage early openings).
Each year I think the streak is going to end, but somehow a freak storm pulls through.
This year, snow fell briefly and intensely in northern Vermont last night (Friday).  I chose Bolton Valley for today (Saturday), where in areas that were not affected by the wind or water bars, I measured seven inches.
I did three skin laps at the alpine area, then switch over to cross country gear for a tour on the nordic trail network.
Snow was on the heavy side, but still a nice way to kick off the season (and keep going my own streaks of sorts).
hee hee, thats why I moved west last year for good. :)
glad to hear your ski season has begun.

Well done, Jonathan! Am I correct in assuming you didn't use your new Duo Sint Aeros on that 7" of unconsolidated fresh?

Conditions like that call out for the proper equipment:  rock skis . . . and not just any old rock skis, but the wife's rock skis.
(As my brother memorably said while back East over one Thanksgiving for some truly horrible conditions on skis I had borrowed for him:  "These skis are perfect:  they're old, soft, and somebody else's.")

Reply to this TR

oct-21-2006-bolton-valley-vt
Jonathan_S.
2006-10-21 19:20:08