Home > Trip Reports > October 21, 2006, Camp Muir, Mt Rainier

October 21, 2006, Camp Muir, Mt Rainier

10/21/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by spltbrdr on 10/21/06 11:45am
A beautiful fall day at Mt Rainer to complete my first year of TAYing.  Snowtroll and I left Paradise at 9:45 AM with ice covering portions of the paved trail.  Winds started becoming strong around 6000 ft which thankfully died down around 8000 ft.  We started skinning around 7700 ft and barring a few short carries - I was able to skin continously to Muir.  There was remaining snow from previous storms this week (Muir Telemetry data lead us to fear the worst that it was all "rained" away).  Very nice conditions from Muir (left about 1:45PM) to about 8700ft where it icy patches became the norm instead of the exception.  Better conditions from about 8200 ft down to about 7600 ft where we took of our skies and boards (a few short carries but those who are a bit more ambitious may be able to pick a path and even get lower).  All in all a great day - colors are beautiful and worth a visit this weekend...
Lots of stuff going on at Paradise yesterday - St. Helen's spouted off, lots of big serac falls on the Nisqually, and our friend Magali saw a mother bear and her two cubs foraging just down from Alta Vista!

Hmm... what happened to the 3+ inches of rain that fell at Paradise this week? ???
Doesn't sound like it resulted in much snow higher up...

Hey GregL - You were on Muir too yesterday? We were there as well. Were you not courting your F1s and Trabs with you? Despite the vast size of the Muir snowfield, I'd like to think I would not have missed seeing or feeling the presence of an F1 user. My mind/Dynafit receptors may be getting a bit rusty given the early season.

Too bad we missed you, Jeff. You would have been excited to see Michael, Patrizia, Rick and I together, probably the highest concentration of Trab users in North America yesterday (and two pair of F1's "to boot")!

Phil: There was some evidence of new snow higher up, mostly just mucking up the trail to make your shoes wet, though. Looks like it melted fast during the warm weather Thursday and Friday.

It seems when they turned on the heater for the water gauge (10-18), snow melted into the instrament, creating a false reading.

That being said, all the new snow melted in the rains of Thursday/Friday.

author=gregL link=topic=5402.msg22747#msg22747 date=1161567743]
You would have been excited to see Michael, Patrizia, Rick and I together, probably the highest concentration of Trab users in North America yesterday (and two pair of F1's "to boot")!

Yes I would have been excited to see that! In fact, I'm excited just to hear that I was in such close proximity to such a group.

Yes, there were a couple sets of Trab/F1's up there.  My wife and I met Micheal and Greg L on our way down- I was carring 2 pair Trabs.  My wife hurt her knee in July (Ice on Mt Hood) and is still milking the injury- so I get to carry everything; but her boots- a training opportunity!

We skied the snowfield to the left of the main track- 7450 to 7800????  The snow had been better the last few trips(couple months).  The runnels were pretty much filled in and a slope with no tracks!  The sun came out to warm it up the second run.  There were a couple boarders that hit it after we were heading out, nice little patch.

As my wife puts it: another beautiful day in Paradise.

Oh yeah almost forgot- Patri just finished a year- TAY, I finished my 4th year.  This is her first year skiing and jumped into the insanity (other peoples thoughts)- I think the thing that cinched it was the Crystal Mountian BC Party- to prove that it wasn't just me and a couple other crazy people- especially seing Lowel's son skinning!

A great day on the mountain and better conditions then anticipated! It was for me as well my first (and last ;-) ?) complete year of TAY, I didn't really have this as an objective, but after Ron commented on our trip on Baker in August saying that it was a good way to get the August turns in I realized I was close to the 12 month streak - so I figured why not. Of course I thought I had only September missing and only realized a couple of weeks ago that Oct was missing as well...

It was great to see Rick, Patrizia and Marco for our little Trab reunion. I love these skis!!!

Here are some pictures:
Mt St Helens
Greg making some nice turns
Greg with the Nisqually in the back
Greg on his way down past Pan Point

The USGS is reporting that St. Helens incident as a combination earthquake/rockslide involving the new "sharkstooth" in the crater - check out their cool animated before-and-after GIF .

Reply to this TR

october-21-2006-camp-muir-mt-rainier
spltbrdr
2006-10-21 18:45:22