telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
10/23/14, 06:03 AM

Solar Halo over Tahoma
on TAY home page

Trip Reports Sponsor
Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2006 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  October 2006 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  Oct 15, 2006 Full Conditions at Paradise
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: Oct 15, 2006 Full Conditions at Paradise  (Read 2205 times)
blitz

Oct 15, 2006 Full Conditions at Paradise
« on: 10/16/06, 06:19 AM »

Well boys and girls we got our first taste of winter! Grin

I got invite Saturday evening driving home from a good day of rock climbing at Tieton (hey that's a summer sport isn't it? Cool). We knew the weather would be miserable but it would be a good training hump to get ready for the season.

Anyway Scotsman, Kourp and I drove up to Paradise Sunday - it was pouring rain in the lowlands. As we approached the Paradise construction site blobs of frozen rain were hitting the windshield. The construction workers were snickering as we made our way up the trail toward Muir.  To be sure, the fall colors were in their complete glory reds and yellows against the greens of those marvelous spruce frosted with slush.

As we plodded uphill, the wind whipped and the rain and sleet drove hard. Scotsman declared it "FULL CONDITIONS" just like the motherland (mother hah).

At 6200' it was snowing. Scotsman led us up the scree and talus wind swept ridge to 8200'  where thankfully he said it would be good to turn around. (Drew and I were both thinking the same thing with the ice base above and the 35mph wind loaded mountain - we did not want to see what it looked like higher).

So we turned around (yeah). The wind was blasting the snow and ice crystals in our face like sand. But we got freshies from 8200 to 7500'. Scotsman flew down the mountain doing 360 mule grubs (or is that mute grabs - what ever?!?!?!) off those glorious sun cups poking thru the six inches of new snow we were skiing in.

On the way back, Pebble Creek was no longer running and six inches of snow was filling in the trail. The snow turned to slush on the cut rock path just above Glacier Vista and I was thankful when we got back to the car that I had left my down coat safe and dry in the truck.  All-in-all a fine day of adventure. Beta of the day - don't forget to wax your skis Wink. Sorry no pictures, did not want to get camera wet.

YEAH FOR WINTER!!!

[Edit: corrected date of trip. -Charles]
« Last Edit: 10/16/06, 09:38 AM by Charles » Logged

alisa
korup

Re: Oct 13, 2006 Full Conditions at Paradise
« Reply #1 on: 10/16/06, 08:18 AM »

Wasn't it the 15th? Smiley Well, I have never started out hiking to go skiing in a serious downpour before- it definately wasn't a gentle PNW misty rain. The skiing alternated between glorious freshies and sun cup edge skating, but felt fantastic to see fresh snow blowing through the tip cutouts. Accumulations on the way down appeared to be at least an inch per hour, so I suspect almost all of the nasty cupping should currently be filled in (unless it all just gets windscoured). Combined with low snow levels on the docket for this whole week, the Muir should be in fine, fine shape next weekend!  Cheesy

Seeing Chris the Scotsman pull some linked 720 tail grabs off the sun ridges was a sight to behold... next time we really need to get it on film.
We also managed to get three rounds of the "Happy Snow Dance" in, so yippeee for winter!
« Last Edit: 10/16/06, 08:45 AM by korup » Logged
Scotsman

« Reply #2 on: 10/16/06, 08:27 AM »

Korup and Blitz, thanks for the company. It was actually Sunday Oct 15th and not the 13th as posted.
It certainly was a stormy day and much fun to be out when nature is at her fiercest.

I'm going to try Lincon Rolls with a switch landing off the tops of the sun-cups next time so make sure your camera is working  guys. Roll Eyes

Chief Etiquette Officer of TAY and TAY's #1 Poster
Poet Laureate of TAY.
Chairman and Founder of FOTAY( Friends of TAY)
Moderator of the moderators.
"Most Brilliant Move" of the 11/12 ski season
" Knows what he is talking about"
Expert Typist.
Crystal Whore
" Scotsman may be correct"....Mikerolfs
JibberD

« Reply #3 on: 10/16/06, 09:00 AM »

Silly kids!

Hey, some German guy just told me that there isn't any skiing here in Berlin and that the only mountains in town are massive mounds of WWII rubble collected around flak bunkers from the same era.

Jennifer didn't tell me anything about the lack of skiiing here when she suggested we live here for the year Huh

Thanks for the early season report Alisa.  And keep sticking those mule grabs Chris, whatever those are...

-Doug O
Dr. Crash
5Member

Re: Oct 15, 2006 Full Conditions at Paradise
« Reply #4 on: 10/16/06, 10:31 AM »

Damn, someone got the first freshies... Nice job. I plan to go out next Sunday and it better snows by then...

If it's too steep, you're too old.
blitz

Re: Oct 15, 2006 Full Conditions at Paradise
« Reply #5 on: 10/16/06, 10:43 AM »

I was completely disoriented on the date  Huh because I was so totally excited about the new snow and coming winter -  Ive almost forgotten how cold my fingers were in my soaked gloves too.

Bet those sun cups will all be gone next weekend

Hi Dougie, we will miss you this season.

alisa
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.