telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/01/14, 02:33 AM

Solar Halo over Tahoma
on TAY home page

Trip Reports Sponsor
Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2006 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  October 2006 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  October 8, 2006: Tatoosh treat
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: October 8, 2006: Tatoosh treat  (Read 3484 times)
skip

October 8, 2006: Tatoosh treat
« on: 10/08/06, 07:31 PM »

Cass didn't want to get out of bed this morning.  He muttered something about having spent all day yesterday laying Pergo flooring, but I had a suspicion it may have been the crap weather.  Whatever the case, after a hunt for my lost keys from 6:30-7:00 that gained the ire of my housemate I met Cass at the agreed upon rendezvous at exactly 7:30.  From there we continued south.

In all fairness, the weather was poor and it degraded the further we drove.  Arriving at the base of the Tatoosh in a steady rain, it was all but impossible to get Wipe out of the car.

Only after my insistence that the snowline was low and falling did he emerge.

About 500' up the trail we ran into a wall of weather.  White room.  Snow had clearly fallen here throughout the night, as it was knee-deep if it was an inch.  I was happy to have brought my skin wax; the snow down low was a hint soggy and was at first sticking badly to my summer-dusty skins.  My laziness the last two months was rewarded with an ass-kicking the remainder of the uphill, despite the fact we were taking turns breaking trail.  My only good fortune to this end is that it was considerably cooler up high, keeping my sweat production in check.

The snow unfortunately stopped falling as we ate lunch in the lee of the peak.  No matter, though, as we had the mountain all to ourselves for the first run down:

It was killer.  Energized by the unexpected conditions, we took to the skintrack mid-descent for a second run at the upper slopes.  Just when it didn't seem it could get any better, the sun came out(!).  I seriously could not have made up a better day - it was unbelievable.

As the new snow was still unconsolidated, we felt comfortable taking a steep glade for the remainder of the descent.  All went flawlessly. 

We swapped to trail boots at snowline and were back to the car in 20 minutes.  All in all, it was a lovely October day.

kuharicm

Re: October 8, 2006: Tatoosh treat
« Reply #1 on: 10/08/06, 07:37 PM »

Looks like it was deep! Nice report!

I myself was turned back due to the climax slides thundering down around us in the Glacier Peak area.

Wink

-Matt
skifish
5Member

« Reply #2 on: 10/08/06, 08:09 PM »

Huh?   Huh How high did you go?  I could not ski cuz the kid had a soocer game in Sunnyside, but there was warm rain going over chinook this morning.  The pics you had were amazing considering the weather at the pass.  If you're not snowing us, kudos for the freshies!

Methow Valley, live the fantasy
cascadesfreak

« Reply #3 on: 10/08/06, 08:22 PM »

That snow was sooooo fantastic, I'm still amazed!  I must say I was rather concerned that we'd only be skiing a relic snow patch in the rain, but that unexpected deep powder treat made it all worthwhile!    Wink
David_Coleman

« Reply #4 on: 10/08/06, 11:39 PM »

Nice try Skipper!  I'll let you know if Sky & I have it that good on the Coleman-Deming midweek.  Cool
« Last Edit: 10/08/06, 11:46 PM by David_Coleman » Logged
Mad_Dog

« Reply #5 on: 10/09/06, 06:30 AM »

Everyone loves a kidder, nice way to start your winter cardio training program  Cheesy

There is nothing worse than refusing to learn: this is where old age begins.

Jeanette
Darryl

« Reply #6 on: 10/09/06, 08:05 AM »

That earthquake near Mt. Rainier must have rattled Skip's brain.
ron j

« Reply #7 on: 10/14/06, 06:25 AM »

You two get my vote for the TAY TR "Creativity" and "Entertainment Value" awards.  Excellent pics. (even Cass's patch shot)  Nice try picking a spot with no telemetry station... but... sadly, Paradise is close enough   Smiley

"When I stop having fun I'm turnin' around"
“Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future.” - Niels Bohr
"If a given person makes it a priority not to die in an avalanche, he or she stands a very good chance of living a long, happy life in the mountains." - Jill Fredston
allyson

« Reply #8 on: 10/16/06, 08:49 AM »

hmm, yeah...i thought i recognized those pictures from elsewhere.  i was ALMOST jealous, for a second... Grin

snowshoe?? why would you??
ron j

« Reply #9 on: 10/18/06, 09:21 AM »

Wow.

Another first, Skipper.
There should be an award here, somewhere.  The first fiction works on TAY to hit 1000 views.  That outta be worth something.

I got it - I think you've won a free chance to buy the (two sided!!) TAY shirt of your choice.
Just go HERE to select the shirt of your choice.

"When I stop having fun I'm turnin' around"
“Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future.” - Niels Bohr
"If a given person makes it a priority not to die in an avalanche, he or she stands a very good chance of living a long, happy life in the mountains." - Jill Fredston
danhelmstadter

« Reply #10 on: 10/19/06, 09:39 PM »

the first on tay to have have a 1000 veiws,  thats surpriseing considering some of the descents that skykilo has made, it is an awsome pic though!
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.