Home > Trip Reports > October 6, near Coleman Pinnacle with JP Patches

October 6, near Coleman Pinnacle with JP Patches

10/15/06
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by GregLange on 10/7/06 8:44am
...or was that Patch Adams?

I knew the permanent patches were still lurking in the close-in hikeability of the Coleman Pinnacle vicinity. So, I piggy-backed my October day onto a family-overnight to Bellingham, and shoved off solo at 6 AM. Arrived parking lot, a (fortunately) lonely arena, about 7:20 AM, and was off to see just how fast I could get to the snow. An hour and change later, I was standing atop the snowfield just east of the final bowl prior to Camp Kiser hike-in. Looked over the ridge to peek at Telemon's patch that I had skiied in mid-Sept, and decided that the extra 75 feet of vert to gain was not worth a 35-min. round trip. So, on with the ski gear, under the bright sun (and the watchful eye of a mama and baby goat), and I was in it for 4 runs of about 155 vert apiece. Now, skiing in the early autumn ain't what it used to be, so I didn't wince too much when I slipped and kissed a butt cheek to the hard pan sun cups. (I do remember more snow in early Oct. in past years.) What made the day special, besides making it back to the car by 10:45 AM to make lunch with the family, was that today marked the end of 9 years/ 108 months of this obsession. Ah, all of the memories come fading back, and I trust the collection will continue to grow...
Way to "git 'er done", Greg.

Zaba zaba zaba zoo.  Secret white room alakazoo!

I am flattered,as a relative newbie to the turns all year world,that a patch of snow should bear my name. And to be so designated by a nine year veteran increases the honour. I am not very familiar with Rainier, but there has to be a number of runs affiliated with Ron Jarvis, since I've heard that he is familiar with every skiable nook and cranny on the mountain.

Reply to this TR

october-6-near-coleman-pinnacle-with-jp-patches
GregLange
2006-10-07 15:44:31