Home > Trip Reports > September 27, 2006, Camp Muir

September 27, 2006, Camp Muir

9/27/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Merk on 9/27/06 12:52pm
Today was my 11th month of turns.  I almost bailed out on it this month after the huge suncups of august, but then I saw the previous post that said Muir Snowfield was in good shape.  So that report pretty much saved my run (Thanks Mr. Coleman).

I was on the trail at 8:30, perfect bluebird day.  Made it to Pebble Creek at about 10.  The 1st snowfield began just above the creek.  It wasn't continuous snow until the base of the Muir snowfield (including 1 quick dismount).  The remains of the new snow still lingered, but was melting out, leaving the dirty old snow beneath.  Skinning wasn't too bad overall, it wasn't smooth by any means, but do-able.  2 small crevasses are showing just below the camp, easily negotiable.  I was at Camp Muir at 1:00.

The descent was much better than I thought it would be.  The patches of new snow were easy to ski through and the old snow was soft enough to make for some enjoyable turns.  I was able to ski down close to Pebble Creek after 3 dismounts.  Back to the car by 4.  Definitely worth-while.

Reply to this TR

september-27-2006-camp-muir
Merk
2006-09-27 19:52:58