Home > Trip Reports > Sep27, 2006- St Mary's Glacier, CO

Sep27, 2006- St Mary's Glacier, CO

9/15/06
US elsewhere
Posted by dmp on 9/27/06 12:15pm
I heard very encouraging news from a friend who had skied at St. Mary's just two days ago- after a 2 ft dump over the end of last week conditions were terrific- at least they were on Monday, but it has been sunny since then.  I figured at least it has been cold above 10k feet, giving me a reasonable chance of some good turns.  So with much anticipation and even more sleep deprivation (following 21 hours in the OR, arriving home early this morning at 2:30) I awoke for an alpine start  ::) at 9AM and finally got out of the house by 10:30.  The trailhead is only about 55 minutes from my house, and I was disappointed (but not at all surprised) to find not a trace of snow when I parked my car. 

About a 30 minute hike brought me to the foot of the glacier, which still had a coating of new snow.  Skinning conditions were excellent, and the new snow had filled in much of the suncups.  Although there was a lot of melt out, I was able to ski 610 vertical feet (of a total ascent of just under 1100ft) in pretty reasonable conditions.  The snow cover was pretty narrow in several places- nothing like wide glacial runs in the NW, but at least the upper 1/3 was relatively smooth.  All in all, it was much better than I had expected for my only September TAY day, and I am now ready to start the 3rd year of my TAY streak.  Considering Loveland and A-Basin are making snow and will be open by the 2nd or 3rd week of October, it should be easy from now on even if the backcountry conditions do not cooperate until later in the year.

Pictures: 1.  On the way up (? Evans in the distance)
              2. The snow ends; James Peak in the distance (several classic couloirs here, none of which hold enough snow yet)

Reply to this TR

sep27-2006-st-mary-s-glacier-co
dmp
2006-09-27 19:15:23