Home > Trip Reports > Sep16, 2006. T-line/White Salmon, da'hood

Sep16, 2006. T-line/White Salmon, da'hood

9/15/06
OR Mt Hood
Posted by ema on 9/17/06 6:28am
Me and my invisible friend Chuck watched the radar last Friday and decided to head to Oregon for fresh snow. We camped at the airstrip transient camp Friday night under a light rain. Driving to Timberline the next morning, snow started at approx 5500'. At the parking lot, a group of marathon runners were getting ready to depart on a 26 mile trail run. I talked to one guy and told him to have fun and watch his ankles! He said, "I wish I was skiing today". When he turned around,  I turned to Chuck and gave him a high five. We skied open to close (8:30-2:30 are the fall hours) and mixed it up with a couple laps on the White Salmon Glacier edge. Met Mark from Seattle, Chris from Boise and we enjoyed the skin, skiing and feeling of cold lungs. It was smooth and fun with all sun-cups erased. This short run added about 800-900' vert. feet of turns in addition to the 2200' vert to the lodge. Ran into  Markharf packing up at the parking lot. P.S.- camped near adams last night and it looked as though snowdome and most of adams didn't receive as much snow...for now.
no fair...you actually got to see the slope you were skiing as opposed to the ski-by-braille options at rainier.

looks like a fantastic day at Hood!

I was up there that day it was great. Nothing like fresh pow in sept.  You must have been the group I saw. We debated on following your tracks. Probably should have.

Nice job Toby,

Wish I could have joined you and Chuck...I bet he didn't have to stop at the gas station after enjoying too much chewing tobacco.  ;D

Much better visibility than I would have imagined.

that was a kick ass day.  i normally post over on the TGR forums - I think we met Chris while hiking above the lift.  thanks for setting the boot (and for showing us the T-line patrol didn't care if you hiked) ;D
-tim

Pete- we gots to gets together with y'all to git er dun!!
Matt-  you know I would have preferred the tobacco episode to Chuck!!
Tim- Yep, that's Chris (drove from Boise for the day!) booting the fresh for you.
Climbinghighest- I agree, you should of added your tracks as well...

Good to see you, Toby.  I skied from 50 feet above the highest of your tracks, just because I could.  Great conditions to below the Palmer halfway hut, then refrozen snocat treadmarks for a while (they must do this on purpose, surely!), then a slushy snow finger to 250 feet above the lodge. Definitely a worthy afternoon tour. 

Thought all week about other skiing possibilities on my return, but Shasta seemed to have missed the week of storms and nothing else really appealed.  I did get a week's worth of hiking and biking in, including my personal best sufferfest for the year: 6250 v.f. mountain biking due to an out-of-date guidebook.

enjoy,

Mark

Reply to this TR

sep16-2006-t-line-white-salmon-da-hood
ema
2006-09-17 13:28:49