Home > Trip Reports > September 16, 2006, Muir snowfield, Rainier

September 16, 2006, Muir snowfield, Rainier

9/16/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Pete A on 9/16/06 11:13am
Well the recent telemetry provided the bait and I took it, figuring there might just be enough new snow up high to make for some worthwhile turns and fortunately Becky was a good enough sport to tag along with me.

Traces of snow just above Paradise, increasing to about 6" by the time we got to Pebble Creek.  Snow was deep enough that skinning was preferrable to hiking...rare for September. 

Visibility was terrible...we could rarely see more than 100ft, usually less than 50ft, but we wandered our way up to about 9500ft then started down.  Above about 9000ft the suncups remain massive and the wind has removed some of the new snow, but turns were still enteraining, albiet slow given that we couldn't see anything.  From Anvil Rock on up to Muir it still looks pretty grim.

Below about 8800ft and all the way to base of the snowfield the suncups were not even noticeable and the 6" of new (more if you could find wind drifts) was plenty to make for legitimately good turns. 

Yeah for freshies in September!
Nice job Pete

I almost made the trek down there but decided a local trail-run would be a better option. I'm sure you and Becky had some good laughs in that visibility. Hopefully those nasty suncups disappear with a little more snow. Winter is on its way!!!

Right on - way to get after it.  That sure is a pleasant sight to behold. 

Mr. Paul Belitz - wish you were here, but you're in sunny Southern  8).  HAHAHAHAHAHA

Thanks for rubbing it in, Dave.  ::)  ;)

Looks great, way to get some.  :)

Woot!  Had I not been recovering from Dengue, I'd have chased you down there.  Nice work!

Thanks for running guinea pig, Pete.  Having been in hiding for the past month and generally unaware of conditions, your report is most pleasing.

Paul and I skied Muir last Sunday.  The weather was nice while driving, then white-out rest of the day.  With more snow and sunny weather in the forecast, skiing should be great this weekend.

Reply to this TR

september-16-2006-muir-snowfield-rainier
Pete A
2006-09-16 18:13:57