Home > Trip Reports > September 14-18, 2006, Cerro Las Lenas

September 14-18, 2006, Cerro Las Lenas

9/14/06
Posted by silaswild on 9/16/06 5:42am
We lucked out with the weather, stormy the day we arrived and the next day at Las Lenas, Argentina, debatably the best and biggest ski area in South America.  Knee deep powder lift skiing in a whiteout Monday.  Tuesday and Wednesday things got pretty well skied out, so Thursday we headed across the river for some self propelled action.

Plenty of powder there, and we were the first (and only) visitors this week.  I skied this basin with four Spaniards Thursday, then soloed back Friday and today, knowing conditions were stable.  As always, a bit of traversing around was helpful in finding perfect powder among the sun and wind crusted aspects.
Headed back tomorrow with my Argentine buddies with my loaner silvretta rigs, that should be enough handicap for the old man to keep up with them.

This may be the ticket for August and September turns for me from now on.  First world living on third world prices.  Glad to hear that Ptarmigan Ridge still has turns.

Looking forward to freshies in Washington in October. 

Ciao for now, hasta luego amigos.
Silas,  Great to see that you are having some good powder turns in Las Lenas.  Please get Rosa Maria and her sister trained "properly",aka -  breaking trail and allowing us old folks to have first tracks.  Jill and I will be back skiing in AR and Chile in 2008 and I'm counting on Rosa Maria to help an ole fellow in the backcountry.  How's the telecomputing test ?    Zap

rub it in, Silas!  ;)

nice turns.  i'm starting to feel jealous....

Uhhhh ...

You gonna do this every September?  Like, as in NEXT September?

Just how much does this whole trip cost, anyways?  8)

Silas, having got as close as booking tickets to Santiago to go on this trip with you and then having to cancel,( couldn't find a reliable way to cross the Andes via bus ) I am very, very jealous but glad you are finding some powder and people to ski with.
Next year I am going come hell or high water!!!!!!!!!!
See you for October turns. ;D

Let's make it a threesome.

You not countin' Silas?  I count four!

Cheater!! Silas - I think you should have to ski one northen hemisphere September day for each southern day if you want to keep your streak going  ;)

Way to bag September in style. I bet you're eating well, what with all those under-$5 steaks and all...

Yikes, I should have checked the tay rules before departing for southern climes.  ??? 

Four days at Cerro Las Lenas, powder every day and no new tracks, my own private ski area, wow!  Now filling up on beef with friends in Buenos Aires, and $15 massages to take care of my aging body.  Hope it lasts into retirement.

Back to work Friday, the party is over.

Reply to this TR

september-14-18-2006-cerro-las-lenas
silaswild
2006-09-16 12:42:08