Home > Trip Reports > Sept.10, 2006, Ptarmigan Ridge

Sept.10, 2006, Ptarmigan Ridge

9/15/06
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Telemon on 9/11/06 2:03pm
As one would expect, conditions have changed since my last report (August 13). Continuous runs of 500 or so feet have shrunk to only 200-300'. However, they still can be accessed easily from the Ptarmigan Ridge Trail and provide enjoyable skiing in the afternoon sun.

Sunday's trip was more than a ski trip. I had been trying to get my wife to join me in my Baker backcountry adventures for years. Like many middle-aged women (and I hope that I do not sound sexist here) she had decided some time ago to discontinue most of the more strenuous outdoor adventures (ie. canoe camping, backcountry skiing, backpacking,etc.) that we had once shared. I finally convinced her that the Ptarmigan Ridge Trail was a relatively easy ticket to the grand world of big vistas, big mountains and big experiences.Even with the mountainside doing the dance of the seven veils all morning, she loved it. So I hiked a bit slower and skied a bit less than I would have with "the boys", it was still very rewarding.While there is zero chance that she will be doing any skiing again, telemark or other wise, it was great to share one of my favourite playground with the woman who has tolerated my skiing passions for several decades.

Yes, I did meet Hillbilly and his friend working on their first annual streak and I have included a photo of them below the Coleman Pinnacle. My wife took the other two pictures; heading into the morning mountain mist and heading down a snow finger. I laid about 1,200 vertical feet of ski tracks, which is an improvement over the last two Septembers. I also started the middle third of the mystical 100 month mountain.

Bob
Bob, It was great meeting you - we enjoyed your company . Sorry we couldn't hang all day. What a cool day it was though- we are truly lucky to live in such a special place . Hope to see you in the hills again, maybe we can share some Porter this time ! September turns are in - Yes !!

For Hillbilly and everyone else who loves those special places, check out http://www.telemarktips.com/Photopost/showgallery.php?ppuser=61&cat=500. Each photo can be enlarged and has a brief description.

Enjoy,
Bob

Telemon:
That last patch below Coleman Pinnacle has lost only about 25' of vert since you were out there a few weeks ago. It was very enjoyable on Sunday the 24th with the new corn laid down earlier last week, and very much good turns/earns ratio! Glad I got out there early, as the trail was a mob scene on the return!

The natural beauty and relatively easy nature of the Ridge draws everyone and their dog when the weather is favourable in September. An early start means that you usually only have to answer questions regarding "searching for powder" going in one direction. Perhaps I will really be searching for powder in the area next month. I am happy that there was still some useable snow for you.

Reply to this TR

sept-10-2006-ptarmigan-ridge
Telemon
2006-09-11 21:03:40