Home > Trip Reports > September 10- Paradise Patch

September 10- Paradise Patch

9/15/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Scotsman on 9/11/06 8:42am
Drove to Paradise with the intention of hauling up to Muir without much enthusiasm but upon arriving was delighted to see RonJ, Madog and JW getting their stuff together, so I joined them as they are always soo much fun. ;D

We hiked up to top of Pan point and traversed around to the Paradise Patch the gang has been lapping for the last few weeks. Decent patch and much fun was had lapping it to gain VF. Also good was frozen margaritas  from Ron and bread and cheese from Madog. 8)

While we where there, a Ranger came upon us and told us to get back from the edge as there where crevasses nearby. We politely informed him that we had skied the patch about 5 times and that his concerns where unfounded. He told us that the skiing would be much better on the Frying Pan and that he maybe a " skiing ranger this winter". We can hardly wait. ;)

After a very mellow afternoon, we ambled back to Paradise. There was a huge roock fall on the Kautz headwall ( I think that's the name.) Rocks fell about 3-4,000 ft leaving an avalanche type dust cloud. Very spectacular and would have wiped out all below.

JW may have some pictures.
September turns are in, 34 months for me.
Chris
author=Scotsman link=topic=5294.msg22365#msg22365 date=1158018120]
He told us that the skiing would be much better on the Frying Pan ...

Hmmm. Now THAT would be an arse buster of an approach for Sept turns. I think that the snow truly might be pretty good, but ... only once you were well above Meany Crest, like 8000 feet. You'd be lookin at 7 miles and nearly 5K of gain just to reach the edge of the snow. (A smart bet might be to find somewhere to binoc it first to see how much of it is gray. Usually you can see at least some of the Frypan just past the entrance station.)

author=wolfs link=topic=5294.msg22366#msg22366 date=1158023514]Hmmm. Now THAT would be an arse buster of an approach for Sept turns. I think that the snow truly might be pretty good, but ... only once you were well above Meany Crest, like 8000 feet. You'd be lookin at 7 miles and nearly 5K of gain just to reach the edge of the snow.

That's what crossed our mind at the comment, too, Wolfs.  One of us finally casually commented to him "the approach is a wee bit different than to here, eh?"

author=wolfs link=topic=5294.msg22366#msg22366 date=1158023514](A smart bet might be to find somewhere to binoc it first to see how much of it is gray. Usually you can see at least some of the Frypan just past the entrance station.)
  I suspect there would be a pretty good look at it from Shiner Peak, Maybe even Naches or Yakima Peaks (Chinook).  Joedabaker was up on Shiner Sunday and may have got a gander at the Fryingpan (not that I'd be interested in the low percentage slog in there, but others might). 
Joe also saw the dust cloud from the Kautz slide from Shiner.  Hope no one was climbing up that way.  It was by far the biggest slide I have ever seen up there.  it rumbled and shook the mountain for at least a full minute.

Good to see ya got 34 months Scotty.
Nice Picture Ron!
Yes that cloud of dust was pretty significant as Ron's picture illustrates.
I did hear some significant noise that is what drew my attention to the mountain only to see the 5000 foot dust cloud.

Well the snow on the Ohanapecosh GL was more of my focus and the varied cravases all over the glaciers. The Fryingpan seems to be a bit of a haul  ??? and there is skiable terrain for the hardy.

IMHO-Joe

author=Joedabaker link=topic=5294.msg22371#msg22371 date=1158065490]
The Fryingpan seems to be a bit of a haul  ??? and there is skiable terrain for the hardy.

It would certainly be a bit more of a haul for the "geezers", we were happy with our own Margaritaville not far from the parking lot.  Clear skies, beautiful scenery, mountain goats, great friends, frosty beverages, and no sun cups, what more could you ask for on a sunny afternoon  ;D.

author=Scotsman link=topic=5294.msg22365#msg22365 date=1158018120]
There was a huge roock fall on the Kautz headwall ( I think that's the name.) Rocks fell about 3-4,000 ft leaving an avalanche type dust cloud. Very spectacular and would have wiped out all below.

Sky must have dislodged something when he skied it this spring....  ;)

Reply to this TR

september-10-paradise-patch
Scotsman
2006-09-11 15:42:00