Home > Trip Reports > Sep1, 2006, Rams Head Range, Australia

Sep1, 2006, Rams Head Range, Australia

9/1/06
World elsewhere
Posted by cascadesfreak on 8/31/06 9:49am
Following 2 days of
It's not even September here yet, Cass!
Way to get a jump on those September turns, mate!

now that looks like Virginia... 8)

Way to get it done, Cass! Isn't it spring there? Is that all the snow they got?

author=gregL link=topic=5270.msg22246#msg22246 date=1157127813]
Isn't it spring there? Is that all the snow they got?
Yes, but the coverage is a little better up higher.  According to the locals, Australia has had a poor snow year (in vast contrast to New Zealand which currently has one of its deepest snowpacks in many years).  Nonetheless I found the snow coverage in Australia to be adequate  :).
Many Australians seem to skip over Spring, calling September 1 the first day of "summer" (it feels like it too as there was unseasonably hot temperatures in the 80's in Sydney today).  With the humidity it feels like Virginia.

Wow - this looks sooo nice - we are all jealous here - with all this snow I am really surprised you were the only BC skier over there :-)...

author=cascadesfreak link=topic=5270.msg22238#msg22238 date=1157071786]
A continuous stretch of snow below the foot path allowed me to ski down to the Thredbo River bed. 

Are bushes part of the continuum?

author=Michael link=topic=5270.msg22260#msg22260 date=1157216503]
Are bushes part of the continuum?
They were on some of the runs at the Thredbo ski area  ;) 

The remaining snowpack in the Snowy Mtns had been melting fast (a big rain storm the previous week had 'washed away' much of the snow below ~5,000-ft). Though it doesn't look like it in the photos, there was continous snow down to the river on a shaded south-facing aspect.  I was actually a bit suprised to cross a few recent skin and ski tracks while on this ridge (though for some reason I had the icy snow all to myself on that particular windy morning  8)). 

sweet dood, looks like there wasn't much avy danger issues on that trek!  ::)

nice trip Cass!  thanks for sending the pics back home while with the Kiwi's and down under....

The snow cover was thin

but are you sure you weren't really in Virginia visiting Kam and Ally  ;)

Reply to this TR

sep1-2006-rams-head-range-australia
cascadesfreak
2006-08-31 16:49:46