Home > Trip Reports > Slush Cup....Aug 20, 2006

Slush Cup....Aug 20, 2006

8/15/06
Posted by JW on 8/20/06 11:25pm
Thanks to all who came out and made the 4th annual Slush Cup a howling success  8)
Lookin at this pic this morning gives me the shivers all over again! ;D

Tons of fun, sun and carnage.

Yeah, it was great. Couldn't believe how many people showed up. Can't wait til next year!!! :)

what a fantastic time!  great to catch up with folks I haven't seen since last season and great to finally put faces with names of so many TAY'ers. already looking forward to next year!

....can't wait to see the movies that get produced from all the footage.

Fantastic day -- nice to meet so many of you.  Nate has photo-proof of Sam actually in the water up to his neck, though it happened far less frequently than in my own pond-crossings.

Now, where's this "winter" thing I've heard so much about?

Ditto -- What a great day and nice to meet so many TAY folks!!  Far more fun than I could have expected.  Here are my pics and a few video clips.  If you want full-res just click on the bottom of the pic:

SLUSH CUP 2006

If only we could have the Slush Cup in May or June...

This time of year has become an everything-but-skiing period for me - sorry to miss the festivities again. It looks like the planners got it just right for the condition of the pond, and the weather obviously cooperated nicely. Congratulations!

Are any of you photographers interested in sending me photos to run on the TAY "cover"? I could put up a new photo every couple of days, just like a much more well known bc skiing site does. Only the best, of course.

Yo Phil - Your skis look damn near vertical when you hit the water, making for the ideal back flop.  8)

This was alot of fun, and nice to see many old and new faces.  ;)

author=David_Coleman link=topic=5242.msg22081#msg22081 date=1156182201">
Your skis look damn near vertical when you hit the water, making for the ideal back flop. 

I'm afraid you didn't fare much better  ;)

What is going on here!?!?

snoslut manages to keep his coconuts dry.

author=Marcus link=topic=5242.msg22073#msg22073 date=1156175464]
Nate has photo-proof of Sam actually in the water up to his neck, though it happened far less frequently than in my own pond-crossings.

Ahh yes, but I did manage to keep my hair dry all day! 8)  I love pond skimming!  Good times, for sure!

WOW - looks like you guys all a lot of fun - I would have loved to be there.

JW - that picture is AWESOME!!

Here's where you can send your Slush Cup photo(s) for the "cover" (anti-spam format, and don't save it as it is a junker):
slush A-T turns-all-year D-O-T com

If you want to send unedited photos that's fine, I will crop/resize. If you want to do the editing yourself, here are the guidelines:

jpeg file, hopefully under 100kb
max width = 630 pixels
landscape orientation preferred

If you know the identity of skier/boarder in the photo, please include it (put it in the file name?) and also include your name for photo credit.

I will put up new photos as they come in and I have time. Thanks to Mad Dog for the first photo!

Thanks to those of you who put this together, it was indeed a hoot!!  I was smiling all the way home, what a great group of folks!!  That was too much fun!  ;D

Here's a photo Jeanette shot of Kevin (AKA John Deer, because we only knew him by his hat and classic style last year) going in hard ;D

great shots everyone, it was a blast up there for sure!  i liked the additional props, ie, blow up lady, viking helmet, and inflatable moose.  one question though--who won the mushroom award??

thanks to everyone for a hilarious day, and a special high 5 to those who took some big diggers, or who took on a little more than their fair share of pond water... ;)

author=allyson link=topic=5242.msg22098#msg22098 date=1156226345">... one question though--who won the mushroom award??

and the winner is... ;D

It was a perfect day for the Slush Cup  ;D.  What a great bunch of participants, and a special thanks to our very own lifeguard Jen, who diligently rescued several pair of sunglasses from the deep end.  More photos here  :D.

that was a great day. A lot more skiing than I had expected. Seeing as that was the first time Brenda and I had ever skied in August, we're thinking about maybe starting a TAY streak.

Who's got that shot of Kevin making that last run over the kicker? Hopefully the photo is as dramatic as the real thing.

Congrats Jimmy.  I think you and Sam rivaled at the course speed record for the day  ;)

Was good to meet you David.  But I think Sami would have given the Seafair Hydros a run for their money, way out of my league

Now I just have to figure out how to keep my wife from seeing this thread... perhaps not the reputation she wants for her man...

Echoing others, great to put some more faces to names and enjoy some surprisingly good turns and fantastic camaraderie.  Thanks to the Kam crew for the bonus weiners. 

Next year, I will be riding a smorgasboard.

JimmyO

I wish that i could've been there. I was too beat after a long hike, kayak and bike trip. Maybe if you had wheelchair access to the course?  ;D

Hopefully i'll be able to make it next year.

author=Jason_H. link=topic=5242.msg22108#msg22108 date=1156276622">
Maybe if you had wheelchair access to the course?  ;D

even injured, i'm glad i made it out. thanks to all who helped me enjoy the day grounded and dry (well, there was that beer ;) !) great to connect with old and new faces. it felt good to be shooting with both hands. here's what i got.  enjoy.

Wow, those are great photos sheispiste!

What ever happened to the slush cup at Mt Baker by the old Austin Pass rope tow.  It was always on the July 4th weekend.  The last time I went was in the early 70s.  Soon after I heard that the Feds some how put a stop to it.  Seems to me that the pond, when in good form, was well over a hundred feet across, and deep.  People brought all manner of devices, boats (these were real boats made of wood or glass), rubber rafts, huge tobogans, and assorted Rube Goldberg contraptions that would bring tears to the eyes of any shovel racer.  It was a gas, especially with the Canadians stirring the pot.  I was hoping to go to this event to relive old glories but my wife had other plans, (with as it happens with old ski friends from that era). 

Looks like it was an awesome time for sure!  Nice work on the photograph y'all!  Hopefully next year's slush cup will fall on a weekend that I'm not away on vacation  8)

Looks like too much fun.  ;D

Snoslut, thanks for the invite. Too bad the date didn't work with our Washington road trip schedule.  We were living the high life in Victoria on Sunday.

The Olympics were amazing and we are envious of your beautiful mountains.

Sounds like a damn fun time!!   Sigh.. yesterday was my last chance to skip out on work and get in some August turns to work on becoming a "ski streaker".   ;D   Oh well, I did get in nine ski months in a row, before August.... longer streak by far than I've ever had.  Maybe next summer I'll be more motivated to hike long distances with skis on my back.    8)  Actually last weekend I went to Whistler and I was totally wishing I'd brought the skis, but we had fun mountain biking all the same.

Have a great September, all!  See you either for late-October turns, or maybe for Snowbash at the Tractor Tav or something like that. 

Ethan

Sorry to have missed it...looked like a sweet time...but surf was calling my name.

Did Marcus set off a tidal wave when he fell in???

I hope Pete pulled one of these again

http://www.biglines.com/photosv2/2006/09/120x120/biglines_64896.jpg

where were ya surfin' Matt? 

Marcus' teledaddies pretty much let him walk on water...i need to bring fatter skis next year.

And no flippy-flips by me...I'll only go head over heels into neck deep Fairy Meadows powder (one of these days I might even try it with skis on  ;) )   
though if you ever see me surf you'll see me flip plenty of times when I get put through the washing machine.

I finally cranked out a slush cup video... enjoy!

(and if you plan to watch it more than once, be nice and right-click-save-link-as so I don't run in to bandwidth problems)

author=philfort link=topic=5242.msg22310#msg22310 date=1157596982">
I finally cranked out a slush cup video... enjoy!

(and if you plan to watch it more than once, be nice and right-click-save-link-as so I don't run in to bandwidth problems)

Link seems broken -- or maybe it's me/IE 7/Vista RC1

great movie Phil !

;D very fun video Phil, nice capture of the whole day, "Dollie" ;) even managed to get in a few runs too.

author=Randy link=topic=5242.msg22313#msg22313 date=1157611535]

You have to click the link he posted and then you see the link with the .wmv file.  That you can right click and save target as.

As always, nice work Phil.  ;)

Nice work Phil.
Fun to relive the day from your fine camera and editing work.
Great shots of the jumps.

It was fun to finally meet the authors of many exciting tour reports.
Keep the good work!
Joe

A rockin' viddy, Phil.
Very nice work.  Thanks for memorializing such a fun day.

author=Randy link=topic=5242.msg22313#msg22313 date=1157611535]

Works ok on one of my XP / IE6 machines -- "A Vista Moment"

Great work there Phil! I haven't had time to even look at my film so thanks for getting it done ,very fun!...Jerry 

Great job. Makes me wish I had attended. Not to mention that 'when u were mine' is one of my all time fave songs!

Reply to this TR

slush-cup-aug-20-2006
JW
2006-08-21 06:25:54