Home > Trip Reports > August 20, 2006, Ruth Mountain

August 20, 2006, Ruth Mountain

8/20/06
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by skiing_addict on 8/20/06 3:50pm
Joe, Oyvind and I left Everett a little after 4:00, and picked up Mike in Smokey Point a little later.  Got to the Hannegan Pass TH and were hiking by 6:45.  We didn't take many stops on the way up, so Joe and Oyvind were at the top at 9:45, with Mike and I about a half hour behind.  We took a little nap on top and were skiing some time between 11:00 and 12:00.  Here's a pic of Ruth:

Our first run was 1200' down the left shoulder.  You can [barely] see our tracks at the bottom.  We hiked back up to the top and took the second run straight down (about 1000').  The snow was pretty nice, but a little icy in places.  I was trying out a pair of 130cm skis mounted w/ 3-pins and using leather boots for the first time, so I was playing 'pinball' in some of the larger suncups, but there were some really nice pitches.  Overall an awesome day.  After we got back to the car we took a dip in the north fork, which is pretty icy...

Joe and Oyvind near the top:

I can't believe it's not butter:
Dang, it looks like its melted out quite a bit since we were out there two weeks ago.  Guess that's the late summer for ya.  Still a sweet looking run though!

My wife and I were hiking Hannegan Peak yesterday and we saw you skiing down the mountain - I figured it would be someone from turns-all-year. Did you skin up to the peak or did you hike up to the top and then ski down? It was a hot day to be hiking with all that equiptment. We jumped in the river, as well, after the hike - man, is that water cold!

Tom, we left the skins at home and traveled as light as possible.  It was a good day with Great friends for a fine August ski topped of with a therapeutic soak in Ice water. 

Hey guys.  Another great TR.  Was that Mike P.?  Just curious.
And no pocket rockets for Joe this time?

Nope, that was a different Mike- he climbs quite a bit at the gym.

I asked Mike P if he wanted to come, but he declined- too much stuff to do ::)

Joe took Arc Angels in order to save weight.  Of course the amount of weight he saved is miniscule compared to the amount I saved.  Short skis rock!

Yes, the Arc Angels are not much lighter than the Pocket Rockets, but my T3s are feather weights compared to T1s.  The full length 180 Arc Angels didn't buck nearly as hard as Marks ultra short 130s Mark may have had a more enjoyable hike but I had more enjoyable turns.  It all depends on personal preference. 

Great synchro turns. 

...just a few bow-ties short of a Chip/Dale calender photo. (someone had to say it..eh')

Currious what the Joy-O-Meter was for your day?

Pin!

Reply to this TR

august-20-2006-ruth-mountain
skiing_addict
2006-08-20 22:50:40