Home > Trip Reports > August 7, 2006, Whistler, Saudan Couloir

August 7, 2006, Whistler, Saudan Couloir

8/7/06
Canada BC
Posted by GregLange on 8/9/06 4:23am
I've come to realize that late summer skiing is alot like early teenage sex. It involves much obsession, a ton of work to achieve, and complete satisfaction for whatever little one receives.

Took the family up to Whistler last weekend, fully aware that no lifts were running to Blackcomb. The Whistler side of the operation frowns on hauling skis on the gondolas, as "it will encourage others with less experience to perhaps follow..."  Anyhow, after going down every possible conversational pathway to get a motorized lift to the top of Blackcomb or snow (A nice guide servide offered to take me to Garibaldi/Diamond Head for ony $350CDN!), I consulted my trusty map of the access roads up that way. It told me that, with only a 4200 vert hike, I could reach the snow fingers remaining in the Saudan Couloir (Couloir Extreme, in case Sylvain is reading!). I did manage to avoid a mama bear and 3 cubs crossing the road on the way up, and the adrenaline surge quickened my pace significantly. Upon arrival at the snow, I could see that there was no sense risking a rock-scramble to increase my vert for a run from the top, so I went up 375' vert twice. Man alive, is it ever sweet to make turns on nice (Read that, "Small Suncupped") snow in August! It makes the pain of the descent of 4200 feet by foot a bearable ache in the arches. Wouldn't you know it; I'm headed for much easier pickings closer to home this weekend. Ah, late summer snow...
I knew it was called Saudan Couloir.  Does anyone have details on why they changed it?  He expressed disdain?  Threatened to sue?

Glad you enjoyed yourself.

author=skykilo link=topic=5206.msg21894#msg21894 date=1155166041">
I knew it was called Saudan Couloir.  Does anyone have details on why they changed it?  He expressed disdain?  Threatened to sue?

Glad you enjoyed yourself.

Sky,

According to Outside he sued Whistler.
1. Inflate Your Ego. Bomb the Couloir Extreme.
A nasty elevator shaft, funnel-shaped with a 48-degree pitch. Yet the Extreme, at Whistler, is also strangely forgiving: If you auger in, you simply get spit out the far end — no fuss, just skivvies and a pole or two strewn back up the mountainside. And just so you know, make sure to call it Saudan Couloir. The pitch was originally named for Sylvain Saudan, the first gloryhound to ski an 8,000-meter peak. When Saudan sued Whistler for illegal use of his name, the suits at the resort rechristened it.

Robert

author=GregLange link=topic=5206.msg21881#msg21881 date=1155151422]
The Whistler side of the operation frowns on hauling skis on the gondolas, as "it will encourage others with less experience to perhaps follow..." 

That comment brings back memories.  Back in the eighties I responded to an offer to convert my Whistler winter seasons pass to  to an unlimited summer pass for 30 bucks or thereabouts.  So in mid June after the ski area had closed I showed up at the gondola with my skis intending to hike up Little Whistler and ski down to the base of the old Blue Chair.  The lift operator told me I couldn't take my skis up, unless I was in a ski camp - that was in the days of the Tony Sailer ski camps on the Whistler glacier.  So being the curmudgeonly old bugger that I am I insisted on speaking to his boss.  So I end up talking to Bob Dufour, a VP who explained that the reason they are a bit leary about letting up hikers is because some years previous a bunch of hikers went off over the Musical Bumps, got into trouble and sued Whistler for taking them up there in the first place  ::).  So I explained that I was used to being out of bounds and I had all the necessary gear for the time of year.  He looks me up and down and says Ok.  I thought that was pretty decent. For the record the ski was on superb corn snow, I can remember it to this day.

OK, so Plan A on Friday was to drive up to the Black Tusk microwave towers, ski the remaining snowfields Friday PM and Saturday with a car-camp  overnight.  I had heard ominous rumours of a new gate being constructed on the BT Forestry Road. 

However, after having dropping off the part of my family who are relocating to Toronto, as well as my wife at the airport (she's just there to help for a week, not relocating, as far as I know  ;D) I headed up 99.  After turning off right at the Function Junction intersection I drove about 1KM to be greeted by a new blue sign announcing that the BT Forestry Road was gated at the 5KM mark - bummer!  Not wishing to test the veracity of the sign with a 4KM drive up a pretty rough road to be turned back I went for a rather pleasant consolation swim at Rainbow Park on Alta Lake.

So Saturday I activated Plan B inspired by GregLange's post.  At 8.40AM I left Blackcomb lots 5/6 by the gondola mid station to hike up to the Saudan.  I saw one brown bear, who was more interested in grazing than dealing with a sweaty human - what am I, chopped liver :)?

The recent warm weather has seriously dimished the snow and the only reasonable snowfield left had 150m if that.  So I skied it since I'd hiked all that way, although it was a bit chopped up and eroded in the lower half. What the hell it's skiing!

So overall, this new gate on the Black Tusk road is a real pain.  Black Tusk was always a great early and late season option since you could drive close to the goods. 

Well that definitely kills my skiing plans for next Saturday. Thanks for the report, Nick.

Amazing that there's still a snow finger there! Nice work, and a nice walk in the woods, to boot...

Reply to this TR

august-7-2006-whistler-saudan-couloir
GregLange
2006-08-09 11:23:42