Home > Trip Reports > August 5, 2006, Heliotrope Ridge

August 5, 2006, Heliotrope Ridge

8/5/06
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by markharf on 8/7/06 3:59am
August 5, 2006  Heliotrope Ridge

A delightful half-day on Heliotrope yesterday: uncrowded slopes (two other skiers seen in the distance and met in the parking lot); fine surface conditions (small suncups with soft, rounded edges, plus minimal crevasses); perfect weather (tank top skiing with occasional puffy clouds to prevent drastic overheating).  The basic runs range from 25-40 degrees steepness, 1000-1200 vertical feet in length. Continuous snow from the hogsback camp, an hour and a half walk from the car.  As of yesterday, I preferred this to the Coleman Pinnacle area, although a degree of comfort on moderate glaciers is necessary. 

Higher on the Coleman looked perfectly reasonable, but a mysterious hitch in my skiing technique caused a couple of tumbles during my initial warmup run and convinced me to stick with mellow pitches for the day. For some reason, the toepiece of my 7tm€™s is catching on the bellows of my opposite boot when I switch leads€”just often enough to interfere with my confidence.  The two skiers I met in the parking lot said they'd dropped their skis before reaching the Coleman-Deming Saddle, and that conditions higher than that looked poor. 

Here's a photo of my summer-favorite uphill traction system, followed by conditions from far and near:
Those cleats on your sneakers look cool! I would have like to have had them yesterday on the Colemann Pinnacle. Where do you get them and how much are they? :D

Reply to this TR

august-5-2006-heliotrope-ridge
markharf
2006-08-07 10:59:40