Home > Trip Reports > August 5, 2006, Camp Muir, Mt. Rainier

August 5, 2006, Camp Muir, Mt. Rainier

8/5/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by spltbrdr on 8/6/06 8:18am
Long time lurker and first time poster - went up to Camp Muir yesterday to get my August turns in early this year (2 more months until I complete my first year.  Left Paradise late (around 10 AM) - parking lot quite full - advise a much earlier arrival.  Stopped at McClure Rock to visit a memorial marker of a friend.  At this point, myself and another party member left the remaining group to continue up to Muir.  Lots of climbers - saw only 3 other skiers and 2 snowboarders (and two plastic sledders) beside our group (maybe the wiser left earlier).  Continous snow starts around Pebble Creek.  We arrived at Muir around 2PM.

After basking in the glorious views and sunshine, we left Muir about 3:00 - went skier's right of the boot path in search of better snow but found conditions for the first 1200 ft to be quiet suncupped (several feet deep)- better the further right.  A very bumpy ride over hard snow.  Around 8500 ft the snow softened up and we proceeded skier's left of the boot back along the ridge where we had an enjoyable ride to Pebble Creek.  Back to car a little before 5.  All in all, a great day...

Reply to this TR

august-5-2006-camp-muir-mt-rainier
spltbrdr
2006-08-06 15:18:10