Home > Trip Reports > July 26, Elk Mountain, Olympic NP

July 26, Elk Mountain, Olympic NP

7/15/06
WA Olympics
Posted by ovrthhills on 7/27/06 4:49am
I had been eyeing a large chute on the north side of Elk Mountain for some time.  With the Obstruction Point road now open, my wife and I decided to take the day off and check out.  About two weeks ago the chute had continuous snow for about 1400 vf.  When we stopped at the overlook just past the tunnels on the Hurricane ridge road we could see that the snow had melted to about halfway down the chute with patches of snow remaining below.  We decided to check it out anyway and arrived at the Obstruction Pt. parking lot at 11:30

The hike out the Grand Ridge trail was easy except for a narrow ravine full of snow bisecting the trail which was difficult to cross in our trail shoes.  After clearing the ravine the trail traversed above Badger Valley and gained about 600 vf before leveling out just below the ridge between Elk Mt. and Maiden Peak.  This is the highest maintained trail in the Olympics and the views are spectacular into the heart of the range.  The Marmots were out in force, the bugs were friendly, and a cool breeze made for a delightful hike.  We left the trail and hike up open tundra like slopes to the high point of Elk Mountain at 6785 ft.  From here the view opened up to include the Strait of Juan De Fuca, the San Juan Islands and the North Cascades.  The chute we were looking for was just below and slightly to the northwest of this point.  We down climbed a 50 ft. scree slope to reach the snow at the top of the chute. 

After break for lunch we booted up and clicked into our skis.  There was a level bench about 20 ft wide and then the slope rolled over to 40+degrees.  The snow was soft corn with small suncups and skied beautifully .  We descended past a bare patch in the middle and continued down to the end of the snow at 6000 ft, almost 800 vf of fine skiing. 

We climbed back up with crampons and ice axes and  had to return to the car in order to get home in time.  I would have liked to make a couple more runs.  This chute may last another week if anyone is interested in a great run with a mellow hike and incredible views.  Bring crampons  for the climb out.

Very nice. Those chutes have long tantalized me, but I've never skied them. Do you know when the Obstruction Point road opened this year? I've been told it usually opens around mid-June. It would be nice to plan a trip out there around that time.

Lowell,

The road opened only a week ago.  They don't do any snow removal so it just has to melt out and be graded.  It has been open to waterhole for the last three weeks which, as you know, means about a six mile hike.  But maybe a mountain bike would make it easier and from what I saw, the six mile hike may be worth it. I'll try and get some pics up soon.

Reply to this TR

july-26-elk-mountain-olympic-np
ovrthhills
2006-07-27 11:49:06