Home > Trip Reports > July 23, 2006, Avalanche Glacier Headwall, Mt Adams

July 23, 2006, Avalanche Glacier Headwall, Mt Adams

7/23/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by teter on 7/25/06 3:40pm
Like many others I decided to ski tour to get away from the scortching heat so a friend and I decided to make a 3AM attempt on Mt adams and get these Southwest Chutes that everyone talks about. So we pushed up the mountain with a half hour break at the lunch counter to take in the sunrise views of the valley and peaks around (which Mt St helens burped up a plume of smoke). So we pushed on to the summit by around 9:30 then waited for the snow to soften and scope out the most feasible line ( from our view it looked as if the enterences were littered in Volcanic rocks) but we noticed one which was was wide open after down hiking some rocks and we talked to a skier who said the skiers left chute was in the best condition so we decided to go for the chute we had seen. When we dropped the conditions were very inconsistant from solid ice to summerslush and it keep getting steeper then it choked and became tighter and tighter until the end which was only two or three feet wide and at the base of the chute in dropped into a huge glacier valley so we rode it as far skiers left as possible and from a distance we could see the SW chutes and realized we had dropped down off the wrong side of the ridge and that we had quite a hike to deal with in blistering heat so after a hour our so of bushwaking we found a trail and hiked the last two miles in a almost zombie state.
The chute was super aggresive but it would be amazing in the middle of winter if you could get out there. Does anyone have a name for this chute????
Nice line. You may want to re-name your report to "Avalanche Glacier Headwall" instead of "White Salmon Glacier".  Looks like you rode the last line of the year there(!), as you rode down onto what's left of the lower Avalanche Glacier. The White Salmon Glacier is off to the left in your photo of the mtn.  (Many variations of the chutes on the Headwall are rideable May/June.)

I've eyed that before. How about calling it just the west chute? Since it's immediately west of the southwest chutes.

thats really funny because when we finally saw the southwest chutes we joked to each other calling our line the West Chutes
here is some pics of the trips
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/thesummitblazer/album?.dir=/18a0scd&.src=ph&.tok=ph.SAPFB_P3PBcUU
and
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/thesummitblazer/album?.dir=/44c3scd
Has anyone out there skied this line I did a search and I couldnt find any trip reports ???

author=teter link=topic=5157.msg21703#msg21703 date=1153961512">
Has anyone out there skied this line I did a search and I couldnt find any trip reports ???

I'm sure it's been skied a decent number of times before; probably a lot by accident when people intend to do the SW Chutes.
Here's a report from June were a poster suggests doing just that.

Here's another photo of those chutes w/ the SW Chutes labelled that I took several years ago

Good job on getting it when most had written Adams done for the year.

Reply to this TR

july-23-2006-avalanche-glacier-headwall-mt-adams
teter
2006-07-25 22:40:07