Home > Trip Reports > July 22, 2006, Unicorn Peak saddle - Mt. Rainier

July 22, 2006, Unicorn Peak saddle - Mt. Rainier

7/22/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by snoslut on 7/24/06 4:28am
The forecasted heat wave was definitely something I considered before deciding on a destination this past weekend.  The criteria for this hike was shorter approach, bodies of water, snow off course and when available shade.

Leaving my house by 7am I was kinda miffed about the weather.  High clouds floated overhead looking ready to delivery some thunder.  By the time I passed Eatonville I started feeling the sensation of slowly starting to stick to my seat.  Muggy.

By 9am I was hiking in overgrowth.  Glad I brought the bug juice.  Too bad they don€™t work on biting flies though.  Maybe some fly paper next time.  The hike into Snow Lake went quick and soon I found myself walking on boulders.

here€™s looking back down...

here€™s looking up at...

By 11:30 I was lounging at the saddle staring at the north and south.  I was just outta view but could hear the climbers still releasing rocks.

Realizing that the sun was not gonna make a full appearance I decided to head down just after noon.  The snow didn€™t soften up as much as I had expected but still soft enough to carve though a bit bumpy.

Looking back up at the saddle€¦

Back up a little further down€¦

Milking it€¦

The hike out was peaceful and the bugs made sure to you moved swiftly.  Damn horse flies.
july-22-2006-unicorn-peak-saddle-mt-rainier
snoslut
2006-07-24 11:28:39