Home > Trip Reports > July 22-23, Boulder Glacier, Mt. Baker

July 22-23, Boulder Glacier, Mt. Baker

7/15/06
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by gregL on 7/24/06 3:58am

Paul was chased off the Boulder Glacier approach early in the month by lightning, and he's more of a glutton for fun hiking than me, as he was in touch about a return trip the next week. Unfortunately it took us until this weekend to mobilize, which turned out to be a little late.

What can you say about a 90 degree pseudo-bushwhack approach with swarming, biting black flies, mud and tons of blowdown? Maybe there's a reason people were pointing their fingers at our ski rack and laughing on the way up to Baker Lake.

Once we reached running water at around 5,030 ft. and the sun went down, the weather was perfect for camping. We slept half out of our bags in perfect comfort, got up at around 3:45, and started skinning from camp an hour later. We had decided on the more heavily crevassed central portion of the Boulder Glacier, as that seemed to be the most exciting skiing as opposed to the smoother climber's left glacier or the Boulder-Park Cleaver that seems to get the most traffic.

We roped up and switched from skis to crampons at around 7,000 ft. where the route finding began to get convoluted. Many of the crevasses on the route had lower lips that were higher than their upper lips, thereby hiding them from our view from camp the evening before, so the route that looked like it should go was more stop-and-go.

We were stopped by un-crossable crevasses at 8,500 ft and 8,800 ft, then encountered a thin snowbridge that I thought would go at 9,030 ft. Paul had me on belay, but I lost my nerve about halfway across when I was able to see clearly how undercut it was and turned around. Michael and Paul had similar feelings of doubt, especially as we were still unsure if the route would go above. We downclimbed a bit and took a lunch break, and as we had already spent hours on dead-end-runs and everyone in the group had been on top of Baker, made the decision to ski. Downclimbed a bit more through some exposed sections with uphill traverses, and put skis on a little over 8,000 ft.

Very nice corn snow conditions down to camp, then a re-run of the hot and sweaty hike back to the car. After falling off the trail the second time into the bushes I decided to come back earlier next year when we can skin from lower in the creek drainage.

Shuksan

Nice report, nice photos Greg.  I sense a telemarktips cover in your near future.

I left the parking lot around 7 AM, thinking to myself "Did Mike really do this approach hike in the worst heat of the day yesterday....?"  I was also thinking, "Fer sure this isn't where they're spending my trail pass dollars." The trail has definitely gotten more overgrown, even since last year, and the (full) pages in the trailhead register all date from 2005. My hat is off to anyone who'd voluntarily make that hike twice in a season.

By the time I got up on the ridge, you four were tiny dots winding in and out of huge crevasses far above me.  I shot a couple of photos with the long lense (send me an email address and I'll furnish them), but you remained tiny dots.  Being alone, I stuck to the Cleaver snowfields, which top out at 8300 feet.  Climber's right on the Park Glacier looked better than your route, but still too open for my solo comfort.  Like you, I skied directly down the ridge to the handline—about 3500 v.f. in my case—then suffered mightily at the hands of the flies all the way back to the car. 

Wasn't that nice snow on the lower glacier?  I don't think I've never seen such wondrous snow (absent fresh snowfall) this late in the year: suncups a half inch deep maximum, and not many of them.  There was a delightfully cold breeze blowing down the Boulder and crossing over to the Park at that point, and I think it somehow prevents suncups from forming, or sublimates them away if they do form. Above was dirty but pretty good skiiing; below was perfectly tolerable, considering the alternative.

Hope you had as much fun as I did.

Mark

Thanks for posting the report and great pics Greg.  Fun times even without a summit.  Was a good judgement call to turn back after 3 retreats in that maze of crevasses and facing a dicey snow bridge.  Yes, returning next year to resolve this grudge match is definitely in the cards!  I think I was once called afflicted (imagine that?) about getting into these places with skis late season (eg., Redoubt Spickard this time last year), but hey, who's to complain about skiing that surprisingly nice corn snow and a +3000' run in late July!  But agree, going earlier next year would be good to avoid some of that thrash.  Hey Mark, nice to be on the mountain with you even if we were a speck in the distance.  Mike mentioned you'd be there (he thought with Charles).  We actually managed to avoid most of the heat on Sat by starting late from the TH at 5:30pm.  Got into camp by 8pm for a beautiful sunset in milder temps with a nice breeze.  One of the nicer bivies I've had with spectacular views of Shuksan.  Can't say the same for the hike out at 2pm on Sun though -- felt like a damn tropical jungle, flies and all.  We debated doing the more standard Boulder Park Cleaver route, but that direct line up the Boulder Gl was way too enticing.  And it looked like it would go after viewing with a monocular from camp.  We gave it a good shot --  and got to see some amazing serac and crevasse formations.

Michael leading into a crevasse maze, there was actually a bridge on the other side!

Camp at dusk
Sunset, moon rise over Shuksan
Shuksan sunrise
Approach to route
Mike climbing high on the Boulder Gl
Greg climbing, Baker Lake below
Greg eyeing the route
Michael skiing
Michael skiing again
Out of snow

author=markharf link=topic=5150.msg21656#msg21656 date=1153788817]
I left the parking lot around 7 AM . . .

Ahhaa, so that lone dot was you, Mark! We were speculating as much as we packed up at camp.

I'd love to see the pictures, you can send them to gclouie-at-geemail-daht-kahm

Thanks!

hey Greg, I just sent three larg-ish jpegs (±1mb each).  Use or distribute (or trash) as you wish. 

Charles pleaded family obligations and incipient old age (although not in those precise words), so I headed up alone.  I think I might've gotten a bit more skiiing than you, but you definitely had the more adventurous time of it.  The worst possible example of bad luck/poor planning was the group of eleven (yes, eleven) climbers whom I met on their way out; they'd carried full packs up the cleaver, camped around 8000 feet, failed to find a way off the rock onto snow and headed back down again. No skis, no real climbing, no summit, no nothing.  In fact, their uphill boot track left snow in favor of steep, loose volcanic scree at every opportunity.  On the other hand, they did seem to enjoy each other's company.

enjoy,

Mark 

Thanks, Mark. We were wondering about those guys when we saw them coming down a little after 8:00 AM - kinda early if they had summitted.

Great trip indeed this week end! This was definitely the route finding week end - it all started on Saturday when both Paul and I got lost on our way over to Greg's.
Definitely want to head back there another time earlier in the year - this is such a great aspect of Mount Baker!

Here are some more pictures:
Paul at sunset
Sunrise on Mt Shuksan
Mike, Paulk and Greg climbing
Crossing a snowbridge
Waling along a crevasse with a great view on Shuksan
Greg travsering
Mike ready to attach the ski descent after having downclimbed the obvious route behind him :-)
Mike skiing
Paul
Greg
Paul and Greg with Baker Lake in the back
Paul with a view on the route behind him
Mike again
Paul again
Paul in the trees :-)

For another perspective on your route, have a look at this:

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/threadz/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/590852/an/0/page/0#590852

with particular attention to John Scurlock's photos (and the "before" photo from one of the group of 11 climbers who bailed up there on Sunday).

That's pretty impressive. Looks like the adjacent face is ready to go, too.

Reply to this TR

july-22-23-boulder-glacier-mt-baker
gregL
2006-07-24 10:58:01