Home > Trip Reports > Tatoosh July 23 rd.

Tatoosh July 23 rd.

7/15/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Scotsman on 7/24/06 2:35am
Due to the heat, Alisa ( Blitz), Mack ( Telemack) and Mike ( Overthehill) decided on a short tour to the Tatoosh on Sunday. Upon gearing up at the carpark I boldly cried follow me and proceeded to immediately lose the trail and ended up bushwaking through henious growth up a nearly vertical section. With the marital staus of my parents at my birth now being questioned by my partners we reached a steep rock outcropping and low and behold, there was the trail beneath us.

Proud of my excellent short cut, we forged ahead up the trail and after about 500' of climbing I realised we where on the Pinnacle Peak trail instead of the trail to the Castle Col.
After consultation with the group and a discussion how this would nver happen on a RonJ led tour, we decided to forge ahead and circle behind Pinnacle to the Castle-Pinnacle Col and drop down onto the snow slope from above.

Upon reaching the col, I scrambled up peeked over and there was RonJ and Madog sitting in the sun drinking hard liquior. Yes , fellow TAYERS, I know it's hard to believe but I caught them in the act of drinking bottled maragaritas.

After introductions, Ron and Jeanette skied down. Our team lapped the bowl a couple of times on steep suncupped snow and then Mack and Alisa climbed the Castle while Mike and I lapped the bowl a couple more times.

We skied a long finger on the way down that had a waterfall mid-point that we had to climb through. Alisa went first and while I was descending by a slightly different route I set off a landslide of huge boulders that luckily missed Alisa  but would have killed anybody below. I was lucky to remain standing and it was a fairly scarly moment for us all.

Anyway , we found the trail and got back to four cold beers at the car.
Skiing was medicocre and very limited but great fun all the same.

Scottsman; 
Thanks for the great 'skin track' (as in loss of skin) through the shady forest.  That wide trail was sure hot not to mention having to squeeze by all the hikers with my boots sticking way out to the sides and all the parents gathering their children close to stare suspiciously at the crazy people with skis on one of the hottest days of the year.   It was great finally meeting
you and Alisa, watching Mack free solo the Castle and sharing the suncups with good company.  First tracks have a whole different meaning this time of year.  The last run was pretty good after "grooming." Glad everyone was alright after that boulder slide.  Seems like something always wants to bury you in the mountains.  A good time learning how to scramble with skis.

It was a good time.  I wish I had camera to capture the look of surprise on your face.  Tallus fields are moving mountain sides.  Taking break from skiing to climb this weekend.

Here's Scotty's "look" that Alisa was talking about:

These guys were yucking it up that there was no pond yet for our slush cup:

Here's the MadDog cranking on the suncups on the way out:

Other PICS HERE.

I am glad that someone had a chance to go skiing on my 55th birthday,Chris. I was climbing on the snow-free flanks of Rogers Pass. Where does all of the massive snowfalls of that area go?
Later,
Bob

Ahhh, Rogers Pass the stuff dreams are made of! ;D
I hope you had a good 55 th. birthday TELEMON and I  fondly remember our trip to Diamondhead and your kindness in providing a bed in your house.
Won't be long until the snow flies again.Look forward to skiing with you again in the coming season.
Where you just climbing at Roger's pass or is there any patch skiing there at this time of year?

We were hiking around the Illescewatt(spelling) Glacier en route to Alberta. I did not see any skiing opportunities, so I am not disappointed that I did not bring my skis along. I may head up to the Black Tusk after returning home in a week's time.

Reply to this TR

tatoosh-july-23-rd
Scotsman
2006-07-24 09:35:06